Sign in to follow this  
kazpilot25

Need Some Pointers

So I have a tag for unit 7 mule deer and I'm fully aware the good bucks are in the northern portion of the unit in the flats. I just have no idea how to hunt flat terrain like that. Is the best way to climb up the highest hill I can find and just glass the flat ground? Find the thickest areas of trees in the flats and glass that? I'm really at a loss here. I haven't had much luck in the pines, and don't want to deal with the masses that accumulate and hunt around the peaks.

I'm heading out scouting again this weekend, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I'd be very careful using any vehicle to stand on while looking for deer....

There is a fine line on what constitutes hunting from a vehicle. Below I will post what the AZ Hunting reg states. The fine line that differintiates observing and hunting is whether the individual has the means to take the animal. If you have no means to take the animal, then I'd attribute that to bird watching. If you have a means to take the animal. Even if there is no way you can actually take it, you are still technically hunting.

From AZ Hunting Reg... Hunting from a Vehicle Includes: using a vehicle to hunt while traveling on or off road; and/or chasing wildlife with a vehicle, both of which are illegal. A vehicle is

any device designed to carry a person: all terrain vehicles, utility terrain vehicles, all terrain cycle, pickup, automobile, motorcycle, aircraft, train, powerboat, sailboat, a boat under sail, or

a floating object towed by a powerboat or sailboat. It is also illegal under state law to shoot from, across, or onto a roadway or railway. See A.R.S. 17-301B on page 110. It is illegal to use an aircraft to pursue, shoot,

hunt or otherwise take wildlife. See R12-4-319 on page 129. No person may take wildlife from a motor vehicle (including watercraft and aircraft), except as permitted by Commission Order, and under

the provisions of the Challenged Hunter Access Mobility Permit Commission Rule (R12-4-217).

“Take,” as defined by law, includes pursuing, shooting, hunting and killing wildlife. You are unlawfully using a vehicle to take wildlife if you intentionally drive around until you see the animal you wish to harvest and then make

an attempt to take. “Road hunting” is illegal; so is pursuing wildlife with a vehicle, chasing or heading off moving wildlife with a vehicle, and driving off-road to get closer to wildlife. You do not have to shoot from the vehicle to

be in violation.

Hope this helps.

If the vehicle is off to the side of a road (not on a road), not running, and keys not in the ignition, I wouldn't worry about standing on top of a vehicle as a glassing platform. I think the rule is intended to help eliminate road hunting. This has nothing to do with road hunting; you're simply using the vehicle as a stand to get higher than the surrounding area and glass.

If you're really worried about getting cited for that, there is a workaround: set up a 10'-0 stepladder right next to the vehicle and glass off of THAT. It's the same thing, but you can't be cited.

• Like 1

To help with your questions, hike up the few cinder hills in that area and glass, glass, glass!! There are some great bucks in that country but you have to be patient. You'll have to glass way out in that country but you should find a few good bucks. And glassing from the top of your truck won't give you any vantage out there, too thick and rolling. Good luck on your hunt!