Sign in to follow this  
hunthard

Early Archery Deer Hunts

Started this because I didn't want to derail/ take anything away from Brother in Law tagged out post. Great deer by the way.But, I think that this is a perfect example of poor scheduling. I think the G&F needs to push the early archery tags to later. That buck has any easy 2+ weeks of growing. Some of the mule deer are close to being done growing, but all the coues bucks I've glassed up lately and have had on camera have A LOT more growing to do. Maybe it's too hard because of all the other hunts(elk, antelope etc.) but I have no desire to kill a buck right now because they still have a lot more growing to do. What do you all think?

• Like 3

I think another week of growth would only offer you another bite or two. I personally dont eat the antlers and dont care if they are done growing or not. Is that wasteful of me?

• Like 5

Personal choice my friend. I don't care for the taste of antlers either, but what does anyone have to lose by waiting a week? I never waste the meat, I take pride in quartering it on the spot and not throwing it in the back of my truck for 8 hours and then taking care of it. But why not manage/ schedule the hunts so all the game is done growing?

He just told you why. Nothing would noticeably grow in the next week except the antlers. It's your choice not to hunt for two more weeks. Do what you want. I can't see that it matters.

I'll agree whole heartily with this post. I also agree it is because of schedule. Mid-Sep would be a great date to arrow a big coues in velvet.

Disclaimer: I do not eat antlers

I agree with your thought of the hunt staring a touch too early if you are into scores and deer being finished. However too each his own. My bro in law doesn't hunt for antlers. He just wants to shoot deer. This year his goal was three points per side, pretty sure he would have shot a forky still!!! Hahaha. This was his third deer with archery tackle and his biggest by far. Could it have grown another couple inches? YES. But for him didn't matter. He is on cloud 9! And that's what it's all about in the end. I personally am not a fan of velvet. I like shiny hard horned racks so I don't generally hunt this early season! Or if I do I wait till the end. I guess it boils down to personal preference. And deer are different across the board like you mentioned. Mule deer are almost done. And I have coues deer bucks that I'm watching in all categories in terms of the growth cycle! A couple are pretty much done and others have a ways to go.

• Like 2

It's a good point and I imagine it has a lot to do with the scheduling of all the other upcoming hunts in AZ. You might email AGFD and ask them why they schedule this hunt so early. It is obvious that buck had more growing to do, but it's also obvious that is one happy hunter and a great deer!! I must admit that when I saw the photo, I thought "wow, great deer" and then "oh, man, he still had more growing to do". But you don't have to hunt opening weekend either. Several guys just wait longer into the season to increase the odds that the deer they are after will be done growing.

• Like 1

I think that deductions shouldn't be given for a deer in velvet. It is about the kill but it score adds to the fun of going after the 100" mark with a bow. And if you think about it, you woul have to shoot a 105" + buck that isn't even fully grown to go the 100 mark. That means that deer fully grown could be 108-110. That pic is easily noticeable that it could grow easy 1/2-1 inch all over. That's a big difference IMO.

Oh.... heck of a buck by the way. Jealous and not dissing your deer. Very awesome.

then wait a week to go hunting. if they push it back then you'll have 1000's of hunters running around during the elk hunts. we all wish we could hunt year round. just my opinion

• Like 2

I understand that fully. It's hard to wait when you wait for 8 months

If you look hard enough and do your homework there are tons of bucks that are already finished. I had one on cam on the 19th that looks like he will be rubbing pretty soon. Pretty much most of the deer I saw this morning were finished up. A few that were still behind.

This is a great topic. I really hadn't thought about it too much until now, but I tend to agree that a lot of the bucks taken in mid-late August have some more growing to do. I've also noticed that over the past couple of years, the monsoons have started later and ended later than they have in the past. Many archery hunters are relying on sitting tanks but when it's still raining all over which is very hit-and-miss. I spent all day today sitting on water with my middle son hoping for a buck to come in. It was a good set-up and had some good sign but no deer came in. The moon is definately a factor, and the abundance of water plays in heavily.

But back to the original question, I agree that most bucks, especially the bigger ones, are not done growing when the archery hunt starts. As Amanda pointed out, I think from G&F perspective it's all about scheduling - and the start of the hunt this year seems to be at least a week later than years in the past. I seem to recall Aug 14-17 being typical - but that's just going from memory.