CurtisD

Non Resident solo hunt questions

Good Day. I will be retiring after 26 years in the USCG next summer. I have been stationed from Alaska to South Carolina, and multiple tours in the Pacific Nw, with Oregon being "home". This has allowed me to shoot 4 out of the 5 deer species. CG stations are rare as a unicorn in AZ/NM, so I have no Coues deer. Been wanting to hunt them for years, but all my vacation time and buddies time went to elk/mulies. I have ZERO points in AZ, but know there are a few areas with either a 100% chance or OTC.
I am eyeing one of the 36 units or maybe 30 units. I will load up the truck and head down in 2014.
I will be solo, so my first question is safety. I realize at any time a guy can come across a "bad guy", but would it be considered extremely rare to have a bad encounter with illegals/drug runners?
2nd question is use of atv's. I do not own one, nor do I want to, but is most this country atv friendly and necessary, or will a standard 4x4 truck get you most places you need to be? I have a great pair of boots and I know how to use them. I realize that is a broad question as the units are vast and varied.
I'm not hunting Booners, just a mature buck. I have a feeling they may be addicting.

Thank you

A truck with good tires is ok as long as you don't mind pin stripping on dry roads. Rain/mud is a different story. An ATV is a luxury not a necessity.

You have a decent to almost guaranteed chance to draw any tag other than a late December tag with zero points.

The border units are ok for a solo hunt if you use common sense. Camp near the road, don't leave stuff out in plane site while you are away, keep things locked up etc.

I wouldn't expect you to have a "bad encounter" but certainly "encounters" with illegals and drug runners are common when hunting in the 36s. There are several members here that work with border patrol and might have some advice for you. I would just be extra aware of your surroundings and make sure you let someone know where you are going and when you should be back and what to do if you don't show up. I would try and find some people to camp with. I have solo hunted in the 36s and didn't have a problem, but you just never know when that "bad encounter" is going to happen. Try and minimize your risk whenever possible.

Thank you for your service in the USCG and congratulations on retirement!!

• Like 1

Le me know how I can help you out next fall. Least i could do to repay your service.

That is a good assumption. Both have a bad affect on paint jobs. Welcome. You will become addicted.

Like the others said, Just stay smart and aware and it should be fine. We have never had any issues down there. It is beautiful country and you will enjoy it.

Keep putting the miles on those boots to get ready for your hunt.

Thanks for your service. You guys ROCK!

Thank you for your service. I am a 30b guy so if that is the unit you chose let me know. Willing to help out all I can. As far as the boadrer crossers use commen sence and you will be fine.

Since you're military, consider the Fort Huachuca hunt down in Unit 35A next to the town of Sierra Vista...you'll have very good odds at drawing a late December hunt. I'm retired Air Force and take my kids down there for the junior hunt in November. My brother is active duty Army and was stationed at Fort Huachuca for 6 years...hunted on post every year.

Things to know about the Fort Huachucha hunt that can be a little annoying:

• Register your firearm(s) with the MPs.
  • First day of your hunt, must sign out in person at the Outdoorsman Center (they open at 0500). Can sign out by phone afterward.
  • Must sign out to a specific a Game Management Area to hunt in (the fort is divided into several areas known as GMAs)
  • Game Management Areas are subject to closure due to weapons firing or training
  • Be out of the field by 1930. Sign in by phone.
  • If you harvest an animal you may field dress it, but not quarter or bone it out. You must take the animal to the Outdoorsman Center where it is weighed, photographed and fill out a short questionaire. The fort's wildlife biologist tracks this information. Then you can butcher the animal.

My son Nick got a nice little 3x2 buck for his first deer two years ago on the fort. Impressed me with a 383 yard shot across a canyon using a 7mm-08. Last year my daughter Claire shot five times at a buck using a .243 for her first hunt, but missed. She was trembling with buck fever, though. I'm hoping she has better luck this year.

There's black bear, mountain lion, turkey, javelina, coati mundi on the fort. Had a black bear come up to within 20 yards from my dog and I last October while we were scouting.

No matter what unit decide to hunt in Arizona, best of luck to you!

-Paul

Air Force - Fly, Fight, and Win.

• Like 1

I agree with 1970GTX, the fort huachuca 35A hunt would be a good way to go, good deer populations and beautiful country. I'm from that area and have lived here my whole life, I would be more than willing to come out and help you glass/scout for your hunt if you would like. Congrats on your retirement and hope your able to come and enjoy AZ soon. Thank you for your service.

Good Day. I will be retiring after 26 years in the USCG next summer. I have been stationed from Alaska to South Carolina, and multiple tours in the Pacific Nw, with Oregon being "home". This has allowed me to shoot 4 out of the 5 deer species. CG stations are rare as a unicorn in AZ/NM, so I have no Coues deer. Been wanting to hunt them for years, but all my vacation time and buddies time went to elk/mulies. I have ZERO points in AZ, but know there are a few areas with either a 100% chance or OTC.

I am eyeing one of the 36 units or maybe 30 units. I will load up the truck and head down in 2014.

I will be solo, so my first question is safety. I realize at any time a guy can come across a "bad guy", but would it be considered extremely rare to have a bad encounter with illegals/drug runners?

2nd question is use of atv's. I do not own one, nor do I want to, but is most this country atv friendly and necessary, or will a standard 4x4 truck get you most places you need to be? I have a great pair of boots and I know how to use them. I realize that is a broad question as the units are vast and varied.

I'm not hunting Booners, just a mature buck. I have a feeling they may be addicting.

Thank you

I saw a Coast Guard ship three times this last summer. Two times I saw a small Coast Guard ship (more like a fancy oversized ski boat) behind a Coast Guard truck near Tempe Town Lake, and saw the same thing up near Sagauro Lake. No idea where they came from or what they were doing.

I just scouted down south for the first time, it is wild!! I had a blast. I don't have a sidearm but would suggest you carry. I didn't see any bad activity but you feel the presence that something is going on. It makes for a strange feeling knowing there could be armed drug runners up over the next ridge or behind the next bush. You won't get that element hunting near Burns or Klamath Falls. The danger, although real, is blown out of proportion (seems to be a lot of legend and folklore) but it keeps enough people in Phoenix away so you can actually get a tag.

4WD is nice to have on some of the rough roads, if you are hunting on State Land then off road ATV use probably isn't even allowed so just use your truck.