CurtisD

Non Resident solo hunt questions

Consider staying in a cabin or motel if your solo. That way you don't have to worry so much about your camp being ransacked and can get a good nights sleep. When we hunt in unit 29 our group stays in a cabin. The drives from our cabin back to the bush are not that far, at least in 29, and a hot shower in the morning is good for sent control.

Other alternatives are to hook up with someone on this site since you received several offers, or with an outfitter where you can pay for a managed camp, but not a guide. Personally I wouldn't camp alone in the "boarder lands" unless I backpacked in and set up a camouflaged and secluded camp, but that is just me. Evening would find me in camp and dark would find me in bed with no light. I am sure others camp out south of I-10 all the time with no problem. In the end, bears are probably a bigger issue than illegals, especially if you have meat hanging. Given you're from OR, I presume you know good bear discipline. You'll need it in the Chiricahuas and other places on the boarder.

A final tip is to leave "abandoned" illegal camps and backpacks alone. You never know who is watching, good or bad. Your CG experience should do you well in identifying and staying away from this kind of danger.

It is beautiful down here and there is no reason to be scarred away if you maintain good situational awareness.

I hunt a Northern unit (20's) every year. There is plenty of wilderness and deer and the Oct / Nov draw odds are about guaranteed. You are welcome in our camp any time.

I hunt the 36's about every other year. You will have encounters. Most will be at a distance, but some are unavoidably close. As a rule, I don't get proactive in an encounter. However, most runners will "ditch" their cargo after a close encounter. When this happens, I make sure they don't get it back.

post-4651-0-36569400-1381981437_thumb.jpg

This is a pic of 225 pounds that was ditched after an encounter. I called BP and they swooped in to collect it.