Sign in to follow this  
CouesHunterAZ

Has Anyone Deer Hunted Mount Lemmon Before?

I had the Goulds tag there this spring.. I will never hunt up there again, even though I live 2 minutes from the Mt Lemmon highway and can be up the mountain really quick.

It is a zoo of people crammed into the few areas (I am talking about the actual "top" of the mountain). I did not enjoy it like I would have in 29 or other more "remote" unit.

33 has loads of back country though, if you hike... But this topic was about the actual top area. It sucks.

Like my niece...... Hannah. ;)

What?!?!?!?!?!

Couesbaiter, get over it. The guy asked about an area 15 min. from the second largest metropolitan area in the state and right off the highway. It ain't no secret and him asking about it on this site didn't send all those people up there. Welcome to the site, try to add value with all your posts and when in doubt, don't speak.

• Like 4

Not sure about the top, have only hiked up there a few times but the middle areas of the mountain, around 7-14mile post have some amazing hiking trails for quickly getting back away from the road. I'm pretty sure you would have a great time hiking back from there and finding something.

Flatlander,

Great post, it added great value to the topic.

I guess my post seems a little harsh, but I have been on this site longer than probably 90% of the people on here and have seen the effects these posts have. The reason for the post was to remind people to use common sense when asking questions, but I guess that's not too common.

• Like 1

but I have been on this site longer than probably 90% of the people on here .

Yet, your aviator says only 3 posts...

• Like 1

Honestly I understand where Couesbaiter is coming from, and it is true I have not helped anyone on this site yet, which I am not proud of, as I have asked for help numerous times now.Thanks for all the advice members, and I also recall this being a highly reputable site in which people may express their opinions, and I feel that Couesbaiter expressed his in a respectful way and should not receive grief for it. Again thanks everyone, and happy hunting!

This is a tough thing, I grew up in a non hunting family and have spent a lot of years trying to figure things out... Not so easy to do. This forum has helped a ton...but you just have to pay it forward to others that have questions. You don't know what you don't know, and if you are sensitive about sharing...don't. I will tell you, meeting so many hunters over the years I have found that that a lot of us just seem to be over protective of this coveted information....haha, guess what its not so secret. Most of the books I read all talked about food plots, swamps and a lot of other back east crap that has nothing to do with Arizona and our half sized white tail. There are no hunting books, well not a lot of hunting books on Az so I for one am glad there are sites like this where you can have open discussions and ask silly questions because of all the knowledge you all have. I say ask away, if I know the answer its yours =) its public land, fair chase. Good luck to all of us we need it.

Im going to chase some deer with my bow this weekend up South of Williams...dodging all the weekenders up there with my boys, and drew a rifle tag in 35B November.

PS, never hunted Mt lemon...Sorry im no help after all that...haha

Alex

It's not a big secret. I squirrel hunt up there but have never hunted deer there. Tons of deer; tons of people too, and a lot of them are the Treehugger types. Go up near the UA observatory and hike in from there. You can get away from people if you work at it. Get down in those canyons, dang few people are willing to put in that effort. Very tough, very steep hiking at 8,500 ft elevation. It will kick your a$$. There are a lot of easier places to hunt deer within an hour drive of Tucson.

Sounds like "Rifleman" found his way back on the site

Rifleman finally got banned? I had him on my ignore list so didn't miss his posts... or is that, I didn't miss not seeing his posts... dang thats a double negative... you know what I mean.

• Like 1