Sign in to follow this  
bvanetten

Camera Theft in the Payson Area

My youngest boy has the 22S muzzleloader bull hunt this year. While putting out a couple of cameras Saturday morning I noticed a metal camera box cabled to a tree at a tank I like to hunt. Went over to wave and get my picture taken and noticed that the bottom of the metal box was pry'ed open and the camera was missing.

1st, If you have active cameras in 22s right now you might want to check up on them. 2nd what is up with Payson and camera thieves? I had a camera stolen last year in the same general area.

I ended up not putting a camera on that tank by the way.

Don't know but a lot of us that live here are good guys and wouldn't mess with other people's property. I don't put my cameras up any more cause I don't want to lose them. Now they just sit in the closet. If I come across a camera I show it my tatoo on my left butt cheek.

• Like 1

Been said a million times on here....don't put them in obvious places - like well known water tanks. They'll eventually get taken no matter what unit you're in. It isn't just Payson.

I was in 4A this weekend camping and trying to hunt. We were out hunting in a draw and came across a cam. Did not expect to see one in this area as it was pretty isolated and kind of hard to get to. Anyway, after I waved I felt sad in the fact that I felt that what I did was not the norm, but the exception considering all the stories I read here. I also felt bad because about ten yards after we passed the cam, we came across a nice elk working his way up the draw. Surely would have gotten his pic taken by the cam. We tried to take cover on either side of the draw to let the elk pass through, but he spotted my partner and ran the way he came. I'm guessing he may have been the same one we heard bugling the night before as he was heading in the general direction. We ran across a few other elk in the general area and are planning on hunting in next year if we can get drawn.

I was in 4A this weekend camping and trying to hunt. We were out hunting in a draw and came across a cam. Did not expect to see one in this area as it was pretty isolated and kind of hard to get to. Anyway, after I waved I felt sad in the fact that I felt that what I did was not the norm, but the exception considering all the stories I read here. I also felt bad because about ten yards after we passed the cam, we came across a nice elk working his way up the draw. Surely would have gotten his pic taken by the cam. We tried to take cover on either side of the draw to let the elk pass through, but he spotted my partner and ran the way he came. I'm guessing he may have been the same one we heard bugling the night before as he was heading in the general direction. We ran across a few other elk in the general area and are planning on hunting in next year if we can get drawn.

What you did was the norm, I had my picture taken on at least 4 cameras this weekend. Just look at them and move on. Still surprised at how many cams are put on with the flimsy strap you get when you buy them. I had a camera on a walk in tank behind private property that would get pics of 2-3 people and their dogs every week, got nervous and took it down.

Only takes a few bad apples I suppose.

I should design a super small camera system that communicates over wifi to a main unit that controls camera action and stores images/video. The cameras can be as small as a pencil eraser. run each one off of a 9 volt or something small. hide them in trees, bushes, fake rocks. 300 ft range. That would be sweet.

• Like 1

Had another 1 stolen this weekend, happens every year up there anywhere in unit 23 or 22. there seems to be a very high concentration of dishonest people up in that neck of the woods. None of mine have ever been on water that have been stolen and usually involve a decent hike. This weekends camera was set for elk in the canyon creek area, for my brothers up and coming elk hunt. It must be nice to be such a loser as to not have any conscience like these thieves. Lots of very pathetic hunters sharing the woods with us these days!!!

Only takes a few bad apples I suppose.

I should design a super small camera system that communicates over wifi to a main unit that controls camera action and stores images/video. The cameras can be as small as a pencil eraser. run each one off of a 9 volt or something small. hide them in trees, bushes, fake rocks. 300 ft range. That would be sweet.

Too late, already been invented...

Wasnt going to chime in but. One if you stick it on water no matter where it is you are just asking for it to be messed with. My wife puts more miles in our unit than most guides and what amazes me the storys she tells me that 90% are not in a box or locked up. Guys for the most part our hunting community is honest. Its the other idiots who you have to worry about. Most guys including my wife and I find tons of cameras and we just walk back around or what ever so we dont show up on their camera. Only for the fact they have spent the time and effort to get it way back in there and they deserve to be respected. My advice is they will get it if they want it. Elkhunter1 works for me and makes some of the most awesome boxes on the planet. Make it so the least they have to do it cut the tree down to get it. Then getting it open is another story. Good luck guys

• Like 2

Wasnt going to chime in but. One if you stick it on water no matter where it is you are just asking for it to be messed with. My wife puts more miles in our unit than most guides and what amazes me the storys she tells me that 90% are not in a box or locked up. Guys for the most part our hunting community is honest. Its the other idiots who you have to worry about. Most guys including my wife and I find tons of cameras and we just walk back around or what ever so we dont show up on their camera. Only for the fact they have spent the time and effort to get it way back in there and they deserve to be respected. My advice is they will get it if they want it. Elkhunter1 works for me and makes some of the most awesome boxes on the planet. Make it so the least they have to do it cut the tree down to get it. Then getting it open is another story. Good luck guys

+10 on elkhunter1's boxes...excellent work.

AZLance,

Do you have links to these products? I've been searching and can't find anything designed the way I'm thinking. Lots of cell phone tech but no LAN/WIFI stuff.

How about a camera that has a built in locator and if you try and remove it it will destroy the camera....? Then at least it could be tracked down. Could have an in the cell phone maybe.

Have to remember that these game cams were originally designed for those that have many acres of private property to set up in. Unless you have that luxury then it's something we have to put up with. Hopefully these people will get caught some time or get what they got coming to them...Ya think?

By the way.....Mr. MarkGann.....What is that tattoo of on your left butt cheek.....might as well share it with everyone...., huh?

Randy you hear them bulls last night near the house? That rain flipped the switch. Wife said we had 3 bulls in front yard and 3 other on edges. Definitely not pre rut. Destroyed trees at the bottom.