Sign in to follow this  
elkiny

Aluminum or steel rings?

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a new scope my 270 WSM and I was having it installed at a Phx area sporting goods store. The installer asked me if I preferred steel or aluminum bases/rings. I had already purchased a set of aluminum Talleys in Medium height for my Tikka but his comment got me thinking, I guess I never gave it much thought, but...Should I? what do you guys think?

El Kiny

I have used talley aluminum rings & bases on my 7mag & 300 ultra mag with zero problems!

They both work obviously steel is stronger. I have seen a lot of debate on some other shooting sites due to aluminum having properties that would mean it fatigues faster and can move more with heat or cold. Problem is that your scope has a great deal of aluminum alloy it is constructed of so the internals or tube would already have some of the issues the rings made. I am sure others will have some good feedback and insight.

I say get what you like, if your building a mtn rifle then go with all lightweight parts and keep it light. If it is a big magnum you are not saving enough weight to make up for a heavy long rifle with a large action.

Those Talleys are great rings for the Tikkas, especially since they are made specific for that rifle and don't require additional bases. The fewer parts the better. I'd stick with your Talleys.

I have gone to Burris Signature and Warne Steel. I had Talley rings on my .300 RUM and the rear ring basically shattered. It was probably just one bad ring, but I won't chance it again. Could have been disaster on a hunt.

I had Valdada steel on my Valdada scope and changed to Aluminum for help in weight and to not damage the scope. Personally if you can get aluminum go with them because your scope is aluminum. Also if you are going LONG RANGE don't cheap out buy GOOD rings. The Valdadas are inexpensive and to spec just like US optics and Nightforce. One of those 3 brands is what I would recommend.

Just get Burris signature zee rings and never worry about rings again. There is nothing better.