Sign in to follow this  
ACTS_238

Daughter has first Elk tag, 6A in Oct

I know labor day weekend is probally the worst time to be scouting. There were a TON of dirt bikes, quads, and APV's. But over all we had a good time.

We took the time to just move around the northern half of the unit an explore some areas that looked promissing on the Topo map. Met some great people who were more than willing to share thier history hunting the unit, which we were very greatful for.

Big thanks to Bob and his wife Diane for sharing thier knowledge with us.!!

I do have a question;

The Elk in Morman lake, do they just stay out there? We ran into some guys that were telling us they have watched people trying to belly crawl in for a shot and had a great laugh! I bet that would be hilarious to see.

Anyway they are awesome to watch, just wish I had better optics to really see good.

The herd will most likely be gone by the your daughters hunt rolls around.. I have seen a couple stragler cows in there on the first day of the jr hunt, again not for long..Its a great unit FILLED with elk, stay off the roads and you should do fine...

pretty sure --last couple yrs G&F drove the elk out of morman lake before the start of season

anwhere in the woods behind morman lake should be good

We hunted labor day in the area. If you need any help as the hunt gets closer, feel free to PM me. We helped a youngin fill their cow tag last year in 6A north.

It should be a great hunt with the opportunity to see a lot of animals!

• Like 1

Go to the Quiet zone behind Lake Mary it's awesome. It's a real hunting experience but not hard for a young person! One road in, the rest are closed this time of year! Lots of elk.

The great thing is your not hunting from the truck! Here's some proof . She was 12 and she 3rd eyeballed that cow at 100yds. post-2797-0-63630300-1378473555_thumb.jpgpost-2797-0-26061400-1378473600_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

VERY awesome pics, SirRoyal!

Also very cool that your little one has a tag this year, ACTS! Along with awesome pics, SirRoyal gave good advice. Get off the roads a 1/4-1/2 mile or more, and you will likely find elk. Quiet Areas are a great place in 6A! ;)

S.

:)

Just South of the quiet area..... GOOD LUCK!!!

+1 to "Off the Roads".... This Unit will award you for the extra effort.

post-9498-0-38344500-1378491214_thumb.jpg

Hey Thanks guys for the advice,

Just logged in this morning as I was filling my Archery Deer tag up in unit 7 this weekend, Got it done monday morning.

Yes we will be hunting the quite area north of Morman lake, I just wonder how were going to pack out that ELK! Just my Daughter and I!

But I cant wait it will be fun seeing her take her first Big game animal, and she will have to do the field dressing! HAHA

I will help of course...

When She puts one down, maybe my buddie MulieHunter will come over from unit 7 and helps us pack it out! He will be helping his boy on his deer hunt that same week. ;)

Shoot first, then ask for help on here, I love getting bloody. PM me if needed.

My daughter had a tag last year and the quiet area was hunted out followed the road around by mud springs there was tons of cows and the elk were all around she shot a cow but never recovered followed blood trail until it went cold look for two days. I will look at my gps but ever year we have went to the cabin they have been in the same area. Pm me if need be and i get the info to you

My daughter had a tag last year and the quiet area was hunted out followed the road around by mud springs there was tons of cows and the elk were all around she shot a cow but never recovered followed blood trail until it went cold look for two days. I will look at my gps but ever year we have went to the cabin they have been in the same area. Pm me if need be and i get the info to you

Yes, saw a few gut piles down in there during the JR hunt.... Love that spot.