mattys281

My First Velvet Deer

With numerous really nice coues bucks & a couple good muleys showing up on my trailcams over & over again, I went into the woods planning on holding out for a nice one, or going home empty handed, so as not to sacrifice my first rifle tag in November. However...... after four days of sitting in a treestand & seeing only does & a ton of turkeys, when this guy came in & stood broadside at thirty, I just couldn't help myself.

It was probably the nastiest blood trail & packout that I've done so far. After I hit him, he ran over the rim of the ridge top we were on & plunged a more than a hundred yards down hill. The hill was so steep I couldn't even set him up for a decent picture, every time I tried to move him he'd slide further down, so I had to wedge him over a log, snap a couple real quick & then tie him to a tree so I could feild dress him. I cut him in half & took him out a piece at a time, about a mile each way to the jeep. IN all, it took 3 trips to get him & my gear out. I shot him at 7:50 in the morning & didn't get him to the meat shop in Springerville until after 2:00. Made for one heckuva long day, but it sure felt like a great accomplishment when it was done.

My first velvet buck & my first anything from a treestand:

post-1431-0-46222100-1378656953_thumb.jpg

post-1431-0-21446300-1378656985_thumb.jpg

Matt,

Congrats on an Awesome trophy !

I know that had to be one heck of a pack out!

My lungs are burning just thinking About it!!!

----->

Nice job!

Doug

Matt,

Congrats on an Awesome trophy !

I know that had to be one heck of a pack out!

My lungs are burning just thinking About it!!!

----->

Nice job!

Doug

Yeah, you know what that hill off to the south looks like. Not nice. I think he got at least an extra 50 yards for free by just tumbling down. It was a good challenge & I can't wait to see what a high country muley tastes like. I'm guessing he's not going to tast like mesquite.

Maybe next year I'll have few extra days to wait out one of the biggens like this guy:

post-1431-0-57130800-1378675972_thumb.jpg

Congrats! Don't forget to grab a turkey tag to so you can drop a bird next time. Depending on the unit of course. In August I like to have turk,deer,bear, and a lion tag in my pocket. You never know.

Congratulations.

The big guys will be there again next year and may present you an opportunity.

Having this kill under your belt will assist with your confidence for when that trophy does present a shot.

Plus, like others have said, he's great table fare!