Sign in to follow this  
down2hunt

Hunting small game while a big hunt is in progress?

Hey Guys/Gal's

Can you hunt for small game while a big hunt is in progress? (Example: squirrel hunting while a jr.elk hunt is in progress) I thought I read it some where in the regulations that you couldn't hunt small game during big game hunt but I can't seem to find. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JD

Yes you can but remember, keep in mind there is a big game hunt going on so don't screw some else's hunt :)

Ernesto C

• Like 2

all hunters can share the land. everyone has equal right to be out in the woods. Being polite should go for everyone.

Yes you can but remember, keep in mind there is a big game hunt going on so don't screw some else's hunt :)

Ernesto C

+1 I hate it when I'm drawing a bead on a big bushytail squirrel and some other hunter tries to call a big bull right past me. :D

• Like 8

I remember year's ago getting hassled by the G&F just driving in an area that had an elk hunt going on with a rifle beside me in the seat. I remember thinking at the time that if I was going to poach an elk I sure as h%& would not be doing it during an elk hunt.

Guest oneshot

Yes but... Why???... Big game seasons are so short, tags/scouting are expensive... Hold off small game hunting to either before or after a big game hunt is over...

The archery elk hunters aren't going to like the sound of a 270WSM on my wife's last weekend of antelope. Hope they know another hunt is still going on……

I thought I read it some where in the regulations that you couldn't hunt small game during big game hunt but I can't seem to find. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JD

If that was the case, it would shut down nearly all of the Mearns' quail season in the southern units.

Or the archery deer season during early dove season? I don't go out of my way to ruin hunts but I'm not going to stop dove hunting just cause its deer season. Just use common sense, good judgment, and dont be an A-hole and it'll be fine.

• Like 2

Legal yes, but it sure sucks when you're mule deer hunting in the flats and quail hunters are running all over the place. The farther you go to get away from them, the closer you get to yet ANOTHER road. Public land isn't the best at times, but it beats paying to hunt like they do in Texas.

Yes but... Why???... Big game seasons are so short, tags/scouting are expensive... Hold off small game hunting to either before or after a big game hunt is over...

hold off for which big game season? seems like if you did that you wouldnt be able to hunt small game in the cooler months. somebody is always gonna steps on someones toes. best thing to do is just get away from people if possible.

Guest oneshot

The OP was wondering about squirell hunting in/during a jr. Elk hunt, just saying, go somewhere else or wait... Not saying don't smallgame hunt.... AnYeah, get away from other hunters... Touchy folks lately...

Most people I see hunting small game during big game hunts are just road hunting until a squirrel runs across the road. I plan on taking my little nephew on his first squirrel hunt opening day in October. Love to see some big game road hunter all pissed off.