Sign in to follow this  
latigo11

Trying to avoid the crowds in 31

So, I got drawn for a unit 31 late Nov coues hunt. I have lives in the safford area for 3 years now and this is my first coues tag. I have TONS ot time under my belet scouting and have my spots picked out but was looking for a little help. to anybody that has hunted this unit, where are the crowds going to be in this unit? I do plan on hiking away from the roads to avoid the "road hunters" but are there any other areas in this unit that gets alot of preasure?

Have you drove around to the other side of Mt. Grahm? There is a road that will take you behind the prison and up into the back side of the mountain range. I drew that tag last year and only saw one other hunter back there. Tons of glassing opportunities and some really nice coues bucks in that area.

• Like 1

All I know is that all of the roads going up to the Santa Teresa's from the Klondike rd get slammed?... Same as Tripp canyon.

The road past the prison is fairly well known as well.

You have to do some hiking to get away from the crowds in that unit.

Have you drove around to the other side of Mt. Grahm? There is a road that will take you behind the prison and up into the back side of the mountain range. I drew that tag last year and only saw one other hunter back there. Tons of glassing opportunities and some really nice coues bucks in that area.

Yeah, Joe I appreciate you being willing to help another member out, but this type of specific info is probably better given via PM. There was a time, back when you had to go inside the prison office and get the key to the gate, then drive right past the yard that this area had no pressure. When I had the tag in 2010, there were like 6 trucks up there opening morning.

• Like 2

Until something is done dealing with the north end access issues in klondyke, the huntable areas down south with continue to get slammed. Very difficult to get away from folks in 31 anymore. Too bad all that country in the north is getting locked up.

Thanks for all the info guys. I had a feeling this was a hard unit to escape the crowds in. I prefer to hike and get away from the roads anyways.

like most units, if you hike in an hour or so you will get away from 90% of the other hunters.

• Like 4

Lots of area to hunt ... just hike and glass. I hunted behind the prison too couple years ago very thick cover ...