Sign in to follow this  
4Falls

I'd like to build a mountain rifle...

I'm in the process myself. I am building off of a Hall style 2 lug integral bolt with a titanium action as short as an xp-100. with a 23in Lilja #1, McMillan edge, Decelerator, Jewell, and a Leupold 6-18, its the lightest. All of this in a 6.5x47. I only Plan on using it for deer and sheep though. The whole package will be around 6lbs.

You can go spend a bunch of money, but it's really unnecessary. My Savage model 110 in a .270 works great for anything in Arizona. Killed plenty of elk with it. Right out of the box it's 5.5 lbs, and shoots nice tight groups out to 400 yards (I'm sure farther, but I never tried to shoot farther)

270 wsm remington mdl 700. My son's have taken whitetail and elk with it. Shoots great out of the box. Shopped around. Cheapest deal was ordering from Wal -Mart. Topped with a Burris scope. Plan to use this rig on my whitetail hunt Oct--unit 22. Good luck to all tag holders.

I'm kind of looking for the same set up at the moment. I've been wanting something really light for deer, antelope, and sheep. "Pack in light, come out heavy" kind of deal.

I just bought a titanium receivered rifle in 270wsm. I currently have a rifle in the same caliber that shoots lights out and very accurate with hand loads. This new rifle will weigh close to 1.5 lbs less than the current one I have.

Hector, I had a rifle just like that that I, unfortunately bought and sold raising money to buy a engagement ring. It was a full Campfeld custom, Banser stock and weighed about 19 oz or so it felt. Fantastic choice.

Hey, thanks for all the great food for thought gentlemen.

I know their are a lot of out of the box rifles that would more than suffice. I was just looking to have something that was uniquely mine. Good to hear all the great feedback on Tikka. I do not currently reload so at the start I'd probably be using off the shelf ammo. It seems like theres been a lot of votes for the 270 wsm caliber as well that's very interesting. I would say that I hunt archery 60% of the time so maybe rethinking my original post a little to weapon that would be used mainly for deer and bears? And may on occasion and elk? I would consider a 500 yd shot on the extreme edge of my capabilities. My longest successful shot so far has been out to the 420-450 mark.

Keep it coming guys.

Getting into reloading would open a lot of possibilities for you. There are some great 'lighter recoiling' cartridges out there that will do what you ask. 284 win or 280AI or 6.5x284 are great choices but only really shine their best with hand loads. There just isn't enough selection for these commercially available.

If you want to stick with factory ammo and have a good selection to choose from, the 308 gets my vote. You can get factory loads in nearly any configuration. From 125 ballistic tips to 210VLD's and anything in between. Soft point, polymer tipped, hollow point, bonded, solids, boat tail etc...With that in mind, the 308 also shines its brightest with hand loads.

For up to 500 yards, the 308 will handle any Arizona game with ease. Recoil is manageable as well. At elk altitude you can easily exceed 1600'pounds of energy at the 500 yard mark with enough velocity for expansion. Even with 22" barrels which helps you keep it light and compact.

25-06 may be another really good choice or you could do the 308 case but with a little bit more speed 7mm-08. Light recoil, popular youth model caliber.

Let us know what you go with, sounds like a great project!