Sign in to follow this  
1uglydude

First and last light coues

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 6.5-20 VX-3 scope, but I'm going back and forth between the 40mm and 50mm objective. Everything I have read says that the 40 vs 50 really only makes a difference in the first and last 20 minutes of shooting light. Assuming that is true (and I am open to opinions on that), I would like to know, how many of you have killed coues in that first and last 20 minutes of light? Personally, all of the coues I have been a part of have come at least an hour after first light (takes some time to glass them and get into position) and more than a half hour before dark (I don't think I would take a long shot at a coues right at dark anyways).

What about the rest of you, what percentage of your coues harvests have come at very first or very last light?

I would just say to heck with it and go with the 50mm but for a few issues. First, the 50mm is nearly half a pound heavier and has to sit higher up on the rifle. I like to have my scopes on the lower side. Second, the 50mm also only comes with target turrets. I would have them changed out to the CDS system, but they would still sit up really high, and the windage turret would sit out a ways. I have never had target turrets, so I wonder if it would be a problem with all that extra material hanging out.

When it comes down to it, is it worth the weight and less than ideal fit for an extra 20 minutes...which in a best case scenario means that I'm trying to recover a deer cross canyon in the dark?

Thoughts?

Just get the 40mm, better to be a minamalist when it comes to weight. I love my 40mm leupold and its low profile. It also does just fine when its getting late. I don't think it would be worth all the hassel you mention in the last part of your post.

Good choice on Leupold though!

• Like 1

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 6.5-20 VX-3 scope, but I'm going back and forth between the 40mm and 50mm objective. Everything I have read says that the 40 vs 50 really only makes a difference in the first and last 20 minutes of shooting light. Assuming that is true (and I am open to opinions on that), I would like to know, how many of you have killed coues in that first and last 20 minutes of light? Personally, all of the coues I have been a part of have come at least an hour after first light (takes some time to glass them and get into position) and more than a half hour before dark (I don't think I would take a long shot at a coues right at dark anyways).

What about the rest of you, what percentage of your coues harvests have come at very first or very last light?

I would just say to heck with it and go with the 50mm but for a few issues. First, the 50mm is nearly half a pound heavier and has to sit higher up on the rifle. I like to have my scopes on the lower side. Second, the 50mm also only comes with target turrets. I would have them changed out to the CDS system, but they would still sit up really high, and the windage turret would sit out a ways. I have never had target turrets, so I wonder if it would be a problem with all that extra material hanging out.

When it comes down to it, is it worth the weight and less than ideal fit for an extra 20 minutes...which in a best case scenario means that I'm trying to recover a deer cross canyon in the dark?

Thoughts?

I have a 50mm. I have taken a coues within the first hour of light and within the last hour of light. The 50mm didn't help me with either and I had to get extended rings to mount it properly.

If I could go back I would prob do the 40mm. Especially in your case when it changes the turrets etc. Good luck.

I'm not a big leupold fan, but I love my 50mm objectives. The amount of light let in compared to a 40mm is huge. The difference in mounting height is just over 1/4 of an inch, so not that much. Now think about starting and ending your hunt 15 mins later and earlier everyday! To me it makes a difference, those big bucks aren't going to hang out or start moving any later or earlier :)

Guest oneshot

50mm gives a sharper, clearer view for me(Nikon 3x9 don't remember the model and it's covered with a few coats of camo paint)...

If your going for lowest weight,slim profile the 40mm...

I do question the mag range though, 6.5x 20??? Seems kinda high for deer hunting to me,(in 40mm or 50mm) your going to lose some of that light gathering (not just at dawn/dusk but on overcast days) and field of view at higher mag. But from a bench type/solid rest, and a high skill level go for it...

Love your pasta by the way, al dente and the gravy ain't bad either hehehehe.... Pizzas look killer, but we're not much into pizza (ex-Nyers, burned out on pizza)...

Samplelist.com had a VX111 6.5-20x50 w target knobs demo b condition for $749.00 yesterday. I purchased my scope yrs back demo b and it came in like new cond.

Samplelist.com had a VX111 6.5-20x50 w target knobs demo b condition for $749.00 yesterday. I purchased my scope yrs back demo b and it came in like new cond.

To Oneshot's point about 20 power magnification, having used the scope over several seasons, would you go with a lower power?

Guest oneshot

Same here Justin, would you have gone with the lower power scope???? I'm just wondering how often a person would be useing that high mag scope while hunting deer, even with 12x they are kinda worthless without a very good rest, unless your trying to use it as a spotting scope??? (and I hope I'm not on the other ridge hehehe)

With a solid rest yeah but do some of you guys use more then say 12power while hunting????

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread 1UglyDude....

Same here Justin, would you have gone with the lower power scope???? I'm just wondering how often a person would be useing that high mag scope while hunting deer, even with 12x they are kinda worthless without a very good rest, unless your trying to use it as a spotting scope??? (and I hope I'm not on the other ridge hehehe)

With a solid rest yeah but do some of you guys use more then say 12power while hunting????

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread 1UglyDude....

No problem, I want to hear the opinions.

My shots on coues are nearly always on a dead rest and typically over 300 yards at an animal that has no idea that I'm there. I want to use this rifle/scope/turret combo to be able to make 500-650 yard shots if needs be. I thought long and hard about going with the 4.5-14, but I just don't know what a deer would look like at 600 yards at 14 power and figured the 20 power was a better bet.

I use the 20x exclusively for shooting. If needed, I will acquire the animal in a lower magnification and then turn it up. I'm very happy with my scope, absolutely no regrets. Leupold will do a custom elevation knob for $65 I think, at least that was price when I got mine.

Personally I wouldn't consider a 14 or 16x for a coues rifle. We tend to glass long range in steep country, reaching out a couple hundred more yards in certain situations can prove critical when the distance would be tough to cut.

• Like 3

Guest oneshot

Thank you Justin...(Good Luck with your kids hunts this year)

Practice makes perfect 1UglyDude, good luck with whatever choice you make...

(My longest shot on a deer(Ny) was 480yards(3x9 scope) and my tree-stand is set-up for un aware deer at 150-350yds...Military trained, and I hit the range at least twice a month)

Go with the 50mm. I have shot many coues deer within the first 10 minutes of legal shooting light. The problem you will come into is your binos will be able to see the critter but your scope will be to dark to see it with only a 40mm. Just my 2 cents.

I use the 20x exclusively for shooting. If needed, I will acquire the animal in a lower magnification and then turn it up. I'm very happy with my scope, absolutely no regrets. Leupold will do a custom elevation knob for $65 I think, at least that was price when I got mine.

Personally I wouldn't consider a 14 or 16x for a coues rifle. We tend to glass long range in steep country, reaching out a couple hundred more yards in certain situations can prove critical when the distance would be tough to cut.

How is the clarity on targets at 500-600 yards when you have it cranked up to 20?

I've been extremely happy with clarity. Longest target shooting has been at 900 and clarity was excellent at that distance. Unfortunately, I can't afford to collect these scopes. I purchased a vortex 6.5-20x44 for my wife's rifle and I just bought a vortex 6.5-20x50 to mount on a scouting rifle (never leave home w/o lion tag and rifle). I wish I had feedback on these scopes but I haven't used either one yet.

One shot,

For a guy who shoots all them critters w traditional equipment, I'm surprised you even allow yourself the use of a scope. I would have guessed iron sights for you. What can I say, I need to make up for less skills. Your resume is long my friend and I admire your passion and success.

I can't afford to collect these scopes. I purchased a vortex 6.5-20x44 for my wife's rifle and I just bought a vortex 6.5-20x50 to mount on a scouting rifle (never leave home w/o lion tag and rifle). I wish I had feedback on these scopes but I haven't used either one yet.

You have my permission to go out and review them before next Monday. I have strongly considered saving the cash and trying the Vortex, but again, I worry about clarity at high magnification.