Sign in to follow this  
mattys281

WTB a youth deer rifle

Looking for a youth rifle for my 12 y.o. daughter who I'm taking on her first deer hunt in November. Figured I'd see if someone had one left over from when their kids were small before I went shopping for a brand new one.

Not really sure what a good round is for a 100 lb 12 y.o. girl. .243 maybe???

Input & offers are appreciated.

Matt

You can get a Marlin X7 youth model for a very good price new. I have two and have been very happy with them as a starter rifle. Look online, they get lots of good reviews. Good luck!

Ruger American in 243. can be found online for 300 bucks. you cant find a bad review of these guns

NEF Handi-rifle youth model, synthetic stock. very safe, light enough for them to carry, very manageable recoil for them, and sized for them also. (Plus then you can have a cheap little truck gun too hehe!)

Last spring, we bought our 9 year old daughter a Savage Axis youth model in 7mm-08 and then had a muzzle brake installed locally. At 60 lbs, she claims that my AR kicks harder than her 7mm-08 and she is drilling the center every time she shoots at 100 yards. She can't wait for her first elk and deer hunt! We got it at Cabela's (came with a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope) for something like $350 or $370. They are cheaper without the scope, but there was a miscommunication between me and the guy behind the counter. We all ready had a Vortex scope for it. Put the Bushnell on her Marlin Model 60!

You can get a Marlin X7 youth model for a very good price new. I have two and have been very happy with them as a starter rifle. Look online, they get lots of good reviews. Good luck!

This would be my choice after handling the Ruger American, Savage and Remington 770. The Remington Youth Model is also great. I would choose the 243 as it has a very manageable recoil.

I cut the stock down on a Remington Model 788 in 22-250 and my son and daughter used it to each kill a doe on the Kaibab when they were 11 and 12 but the 243 has a bit more power. I have a Remington Youth Model in 243 you could borrow to see if she likes it. It is a RMEF Edition my son won in a raffle in a Junior Elk Camp that was put on by RMEF and G&F. Just PM me if you are interested.

Which Hunt does she have?

This would be my choice after handling the Ruger American, Savage and Remington 770. The Remington Youth Model is also great. I would choose the 243 as it has a very manageable recoil.

I cut the stock down on a Remington Model 788 in 22-250 and my son and daughter used it to each kill a doe on the Kaibab when they were 11 and 12 but the 243 has a bit more power. I have a Remington Youth Model in 243 you could borrow to see if she likes it. It is a RMEF Edition my son won in a raffle in a Junior Elk Camp that was put on by RMEF and G&F. Just PM me if you are interested.

Which Hunt does she have?

I'm transferring my Nov 24b WT tag to her. Guess I'll have to swing by CAbelas & check out that marlin...

Here is my daughter shooting the marlin 243 for the first time. She loved it. We spent a whole week decorating it with a scope pink camo wrap. Good times!!

post-1571-0-91641200-1379453089_thumb.jpg

For Coues and kids, a .223 can't be beat!

It's a fun round, but it dang sure can be beat on price tag & availability of ammo.

when my daughter was born i bought her a youth model remington 7mm-08. my wife actually has the same rifle but left hand. she is only 4 now lol. i will add a brake to it before she starts shooting. i cant wait!

.22-250 is a great gun for Coues. Little small for Mulies unless the shot is right ... though someone is going to say I'm nuts and it's just fine. .243 is good, but you can get a gun with wider range by going to a .260 or 7-08 with not much more kick. You could always put a brake on it too.

These threads always have lots if responses...but like you already know...it's what she feels comfortable shooting.

The light round rifles get a good argument because people say that there is less flinch at the recoil. Everyone flinches at recoil regardless of what they shoot until they have hours of practice. I would suggest a 30-06 even for a 12 year old girl. I got one for my niece who was not much of a hunter at age 13 and now it is her favorite rifle. A light 150gr load does not have much recoil. Additionally, there are now recoil reducing loads sold by remington and recoil pads that greatly reduce said recoil.

There is always ammo available. And within 500yards there is not a rifle that can offer more versatility in rounds and take any North American game animal. From 125gr - 220gr+

YES there are rifles that shoot farther and longer or flatter or with a little less or little more recoil etc etc etc but its a great option for all seasons and species. Personally, I would have my kids use what I use so that its less ammo to have to buy and keep track of. Haha

• Like 1

These threads always have lots if responses...but like you already know...it's what she feels comfortable shooting. The light round rifles get a good argument because people say that there is less flinch at the recoil. Everyone flinches at recoil regardless of what they shoot until they have hours of practice. I would suggest a 30-06 even for a 12 year old girl. I got one for my niece who was not much of a hunter at age 13 and now it is her favorite rifle. A light 150gr load does not have much recoil. Additionally, there are now recoil reducing loads sold by remington and recoil pads that greatly reduce said recoil. There is always ammo available. And within 500yards there is not a rifle that can offer more versatility in rounds and take any North American game animal. From 125gr - 220gr+ YES there are rifles that shoot farther and longer or flatter or with a little less or little more recoil etc etc etc but its a great option for all seasons and species. Personally, I would have my kids use what I use so that its less ammo to have to buy and keep track of. Haha

I was kind of nervous about letting her try out my .308 after she shot my 20 gauge a few months ago & thought it kicked too much, but I think I'll let her pump a couple rounds through it & see what she thinks. Only one way to find out for sure. Besides, the more I think about it, she'll be out growing a youth rifle in a year or two anyway. Somebody might as well use the one that is already in the closet, since it seems like I'm not going to.