CouesWhitetail

Young girl tries to get her first Coues with a bow!

You guys know how hard it is to spot and stalk Coues Deer. Well imagine it's your very first time!

This young girl's father contacted me to see if we could help him get his daughter her first deer with a bow. He was interested in hunting down in the southern units, so I immediately thought Carl Young of Team Younggunz would be great to help her out. You guys probably know that Team Younggunz runs the women's coues camp down there and they are very successful at getting people on bucks. Anyway, Carl was gungho and so Matthew took his daughter down there for the hunt. Here is her story:

post-1-0-12443300-1379444326_thumb.jpg

Jasmine Burke

September 1st 2013

“Jasmine, we got to move.” A jolt of energy perked me from a slouching doze. Bryce McGee, a Coues Ninja, suddenly wakes me with exciting news. Our quarry was spotted and it’s time to pursue him.

Months leading up to this moment dragged by as my father prepared me to strike with deadly force. He and Carl Young, founder of Team Young Gun’z, gifted me with an opportunity to accomplish the most difficult deer hunt in the world: stalk hunting a Coues Whitetail with my bow.

3 O’clock came early as my father woke me. After a quick pampering at Dunkin Doughnuts, we headed to our rendezvous point where we met Carl Young. After a short drive to Bryce’s house we maneuvered up a high hill. As we peaked over the top we could see the horizon welcoming the new day. After setting up our gear Bryce, Carl, and my father began finding deer in the valley below.

By 6 O’clock I had bow in hand, ready to stalk my prey. I tried to keep pace with Bryce as he ignores the path and bee-lines to the truck; leaving my father and Carl to track the buck through binoculars. I’m astonished by how quickly Bryce ascends the hill; as I stumble behind, thrown off by the weight of my bow. Finally, I’m at the truck and we’re off, flying down the road like the world is chasing us. In 15 seconds we’re at our destination and I’m following the already fast-paced hunter as he makes his way through debris and jumps over a barb-wire fence. Thanks to my training I’m able to keep up. He glances back at me, “this is where we lose our shoes.” He whispers and quickly un-ties his shoes and hangs them on the fence post, mine right beside them. I wince already feeling the sharp rocks digging into my tender flesh.

We begin our stalk. I’m flabbergasted by the difference shoes make, we’re much quieter now as we sneak through the brush. We move through the briars and debris when suddenly Bryce lowers his binoculars and turns to me, eyes wide. I glance around in confusion and then I freeze. 18 yards away stands a deer, two sticks on his head, a spike, but a buck nonetheless. It’s staring right at me, but I slowly draw back my bow. It’s more difficult than before, maintaining composer with adrenaline pulsing through my veins. I don’t have much time; I put the 20 yard pin behind his shoulder, exhale softly and squeeze the trigger. My breath falters as the arrow wizzes right in front of his chest. The deer ducks hard and bolts off 20 yards. He stops, turns broad side and stares back at us. I inhale sharply from shock, the deer pricks its enormous ears and dashes off. I let the full weight of disappointment sink in on me; I just missed my first deer with a bow.

We find my arrow and start heading back towards the truck, berating myself for missing such an easy shot. Bryce try’s cheering me up, telling me how quick these deer are. I shake my head as I grab my shoes, stuff my feet in them and climb into the truck. I leaned back in the seat letting the cool air blow on my hot face, Bryce is out-side talking to Carl on the phone. He pokes his head in and takes the keys out, “there are two more bucks.” He smiles at me, but doubt is already setting in.

We follow the road 30 yards and ditch our shoes again. I grumble and pant as I try to keep up. We trek through the thorns for 30 minutes, and then Bryce runs down a hill. I ungracefully slip and let out a startling gasp as I slide down the hill, tearing up my back and causing dirt to fall into my socks. Pain shoots up my foot as I stop myself from sliding anymore using a dead barrel cactus. Not wanting to slow us down any, I swallow my pain and follow after him. He turns back, “we’re nearly there, stay quiet.” I nod and follow in example as he bends down and sneak forward, peering over a bush 10 yards in front of us. “Okay, the deer are 50 yards in front of us, can you make that shot?” I gulp and nod. I draw back while crouching and slowly stand up, almost releasing my arrow from shock. The buck is lying down, broadside, tossing his head back and forth. The most shocking thing was his size. He’s huge and has a nice rack on his head. This isn’t an ‘A’ typical deer, this is a monster. My heart skips a beat, but I close one eye, take aim and slowly exhale squeezing the trigger. My arrow zips down into the deer’s bed and misses the deer by a foot. “I MISSED!” I cried out indignantly. Bryce’s eyes widened, and he shushes me. I almost shushed him back in aggravation, but he points out the monsters big brother, standing 55 yards away. I draw back again and let another arrow fly with similar results. Both monstrous bucks bolt. I kicked the ground in frustration, forgetting I’m not wearing any shoes and cry out in pain as I stubbed my toe on a rock. I just missed two monsters and a spike.

• Like 4

That's a great story and I commend your courage to withstand the pain you endeavored while stalking them bucks. You did good just to get a few shots off. Many of us hunters went years before getting a shot so you're in good company and just mark this up as paying your dues. There is no doubt in my mind you will soon have your first buck under yout belt. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Kudos to Carl and his gang. :)

TJ

That's not the end of the story..... It can't be! :o Hang in there Jasmine!!!

Way to go Carl!

• Like 1

AWESOME!

that was well written!

little does she know.... that is an awesome day!

James

• Like 1

Welcome to the brotherhood little sister! LOL You will get many more opportunities, and will have success. But you will also taste that sting of defeat more times than you will ever want to. It will make you go crazy and be the time of your life all at the same time! Good luck and don't get discouraged, how we deal with defeat is what builds our character and makes us more determined to succeed.

/>little does she know.... that is an awesome day!

James

Yup! Having three shots from spot & stalk in one day?! Wow!

• Like 1

Keep your head up,That was a great story and i believe you will put one on the ground soon. You had 3 shots in less than a hour that just shows you can stalk a animal well,Your adrenaline got you maybe but you have heart so go get him. Well done either way.

I have to think Jasmine wrote that story............yes? So she has a wonderful future as a writer as well as a hunter. Hang in there Girl friend, you have SO much in store for you! Congratulations! You have already succeeded, and there is much more to come. Great story! Tell me more!

TJ2

• Like 1

I have to think Jasmine wrote that story............yes? So she has a wonderful future as a writer as well as a hunter. Hang in there Girl friend, you have SO much in store for you! Congratulations! You have already succeeded, and there is much more to come. Great story! Tell me more!

TJ2

Yes, she wrote it and her Dad helped edit it.