BackwoodsHunter

First archery elk

Thursday night I was able to get it done and harvest my first Arizona archery bull. Being unsuccessful the first weekend I got back up to hunting Thursday afternoon. I got out to a new spot I hadn't hunted yet and set up. I blew a bugle to see if there were any bulls in this canyon. Right away I got 5 different bugles so I started to hike deeper into the canyon. I kept calling to the bulls, a few sounded close but the others were pretty far. After a hour or so of going back and fourth with this bull I began to pack up because it was getting pretty dark. Up the hill my buddy who had been raking a tree whistled at me and I looked up, through the trees I could see antlers moving. I drew back and could see the bull perfectly except his vitals were behind a tree. After being drawn back for about 30 seconds he stepped out at 12 yards and I stuck him right where I thought I should have. He took off crashing through the trees for what seemed like a long ways then went down. I marked the spot on my gps and decided to back out for awhile and wait for my dad to show up. When we got back in to begin tracking I didn't find any blood so we started to follow tracks. After about 10 yards we got on the first blood! We Kept following it and it thinned out again. After going another 20 yards, we found my elk piled up! While my bull wasnt a giant I was happy to kill this 6x6 that scored 321 7/8". Thanks to my buddies and dad for all the help as well as dale and heather at wild heritage taxidermy for all they did for me.

Happy hunting!

post-10716-0-21566300-1379964364_thumb.jpg

post-10716-0-10775800-1379964386.jpg

• Like 3

That is a very fine first bull! Congrats!

That is a very nice bull. Congrats on your hunt.

A lot of guys will hunt their whole lives and never kill a 320+ bull. He's a giant and he's your first! Good job on hanging in til the end.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with a 320 bull. Congrats.

A lot of guys will hunt their whole lives and never kill a 320+ bull. He's a giant and he's your first! Good job on hanging in til the end.

A lot of guys hunt their whole lives and never kill a bull. We met a guy on my buddys 5a hunt that had a AZ Pioneer License. And still had never shot a bull. 65 years Great anytime bull, first bull or 61st. I would be more proud about my achievement than disappointed. Congrats on a great bull