How many of you guys set up spike camps when hunting coues deer. I have just outfitted myself with the J34 pack, tent, sleeping bag, pad, stove basically the main essentials for backpacking. Question is what have all of you found is a must have in your packs. Also how much water should I plan on per day? Looking forward to October and really challenging myself this year, any advice would be appreciated.

I've set up a main camp by the truck and spike camped a few times. I'm no expert as I usually throw enough stuff in my pack just incase I can't or don't want to make it back to the truck. To be blunt, I usually wake up early, have cofee, breakfast, and a big D!! I'll drink a few liters of water at camp. I'll pack enough jerky and granola to get me back the next day as well as a gallon of water. Usually if I spike camp in October (where I hunt) a very light fleece blanket, a metal cup, and a few packs of Starbucks instant cofee (try it!!) is all I need. I get wore out and tired enough by the night time that I can sleep anywhere.

• Like 1

I guess it depends on the unit. I've done this quite a few times and looking back, it didn't always seem necessary. Not many places in Arizona that are so far from a road that you can't just walk in before daylight, unless you're in unit 27, a bunch of miles into the Blue or something similar. Most southern units will have a road close enough to where I want to be in the morning, without sleeping in the middle of where I'm hunting.

Try to find a water source central to the area u want to hunt.water is key.keep your backpak on and sleep where u end up that night.This may not be necessary but it is a great feeling to roll out of your sleeping bag miles in a know that you have the place all to yourself .

I would say keep it simple. The heavier your pack, the less distance you'll travel, making it futile. I use the largest camelback they have. It holds 1.5 gallons. You can survive off this for at least two days with rationing and cooking food. I have a pump also but rather just take some water because sometimes the water sources dry up.

knife

sharpener

gamebag

mountainhouse

Jetboil

optics

tripod

rope

sleep pad

tarp

spoon

jerky(carefull, it can dehydrate you)

caffiene(same here, use for pack out)

tylenol

rain gear

lighter

just remember that pounds = pain....those items that you think will be comfortable to have in camp will cause discomfort while you hike...

How long are you wanting to stay in the backcountry?

I will be hiking in early Friday morning and coming back out Sunday afternoon. Thanks for all the tips looking forward to this years hunt.

3 DAYs in I could run about 40 lb pack and stay 4 to 5 days if there is water in the area. 45 lbs for 7 day trip.

if you wanted to go minimal which I have been trying to talk myself into you could do 35 lbs for 3 days most likely.

I pretty much always end up at 43 lbs or so regardless since I figure its a workout for me as well as hunting.

My last hunt day this season was hiking in Sedona in some new country for me and I ran 43 lbs for an overnighter just for the workout aspect so my body is not shocked next time I carry a full load. This all includes spot scope and tripod by the way.