Loaded for bear! ....uh....or Taliban!...4 day packing list

Average packing list, 600 rounds of 7.62 link (308), PAS-13 (big bulky thermal imaging sight + extra batteries), Spare barrel for the machine gun (240 B ), Tripod for the gun, spare socks, something to keep me warm at night while in the mountains, rain gear and pancho, 8-10 16 oz bottles of water, 4 or 5 field stripped MRE's...I would sometimes throw a bag of beef jerky in there...My average ruck sack weighed right around 95-100 lbs

also had 30+ pounds of body armor and my M4 (+ a couple hundred 5.56 rounds)

iqhla8.jpg

24vsoap.jpg

28vt6yg.jpg

I hope to get out and do some back country spike camping to ambush enemy Coues Deer next season...hopefully my packing list is a little lighter LOL

• Like 7

Guest wdenike

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!! Hope ya get the opportunity to get many trophy enemy couse deer in your future!!! Bet when ya first get back ya won't be worrying about the weight of your pack to much. That comes after some recliner time a few beers, many home cooked meals, and a belly that starts to resemble the pillsburry dough boy. Thanks for what ya all do, so we all can do what we do!!!!! Stay safe!!

Take care, Willie

• Like 1

Rackemup, that's awesome. Thanks for your service! In that kind of shape, you'll be able to carry out your full 50 lb pack and a field dressed coues on top of it without a second thought!

Rackemup, My best freind is in the military and has been deployed many times, I dont mention my pack list to him for this reason, if I do he woops my butt and bullys me because he has to haul that same list minus the big gun. LOL one time we had a few beers and I was bragging about some long hike with lots of weight and tuff hunting and he made me dawn all his gear and jog around the neighborhood until I puked. LOL You guys are studs beyond recognition, many thanks for your hard work and service. PM me in Late December if your up for a long haul deer / pig hunt in Jan. Driven hungry strong guys are always welcome on my hunts.

Thanks for the kind words guys...

I'm back in AZ now-a-days...I didn't put in for any hunts this year, but maybe next year I'll get a chance to hunt some Coues deer!

AZhunter03, Sorry about the hijack...

Mulepackhunter, I would love to come on a hunt...I just have to clear it with the little lady. I come through Wickenburg fairly often, I'll Shoot you a PM the next time I roll into town...

Shaun

• Like 1

Just a heads up.... I once stashed a few gallon jugs of water part way in to where we were going to backpack to. Stashed them the first 2 days of hunt, then we packed all the way in on sunday. When I got to where I stashed water jugs, I noticed mice had chewed through water jugs, emptying them of water..... Had to hike all the way back out and get more water, before going all the way in...... Tie them up in a tree or in a bush. Had mice chew anything that is chewable overnight .......... derstroyed my zippered swaro case.

• Like 1

A way to cut down pack weight I have used is to pack in food in a bear can on a scouting trip in advance of the actual hunt to create a known cache point. Even if you end up a ways away from the cache, it is going to be closer than the truck. As other's have noted, locating and verifying a reliable water source during scouting is key to keeping down weight. I don't envy you military studs who have to carry all your water along with all that gear and ammo to high mountain OP's. You have my deepest respect, admiration and thanks.

At this point I don't plan spike camps, but do carry enough stuff to get me through the night just in case. This means carrying a good head lamp with spare batteries, many ways to start fire and water proof clothing. I no longer carry extra food because I have that built into my beer muscle and water is more important short term anyway. After spending a night temporarily disoriented (lost) lost in Alaska in a light rain with only a knife, cig lighter and my rifle, I don't worry about a night out as long as I can build a fire.

Good luck everyone this season and stay safe