Sign in to follow this  
kazpilot25

Best Turkey Units in AZ

1 hour ago, Kridgetopp said:

No it hasn’t woody. Just smoked one in Colcord two days ago LOL. 

In February, whaaaat?

On 3/2/2023 at 6:34 PM, Couescountry said:

Anyone hunting this year? In 12a ?

On 3/4/2023 at 10:08 AM, Red Rabbit said:

snowfall 2023 .jpg

Hope you drew the second hunt in 12A. Access will defiantly be an issue. Follow the melting snow line and don't get stuck in the snow drifts. Maybe think out side the box and bring a mountain bike that you can carry over the drifts to get access to unhunted areas. Quite a few years ago after hitting a deep drift we couldn't cross we hiked in 5 or 6 miles and got into some areas that were really good with lots of birds calling but the long hike and crossing lots of deep drifts on foot sucked. I told myself the next time I would bring a mountain bike.

• Like 1

When in 12a in the fall, I see way more birds down in the low country than I ever have up high.  I've never been there during spring turkey season so I am not sure if they move back on top of the plateau. I once counted 42 birds in a flock and then drove 1/2 mile down the road and found another flock in the high 20's.  Definitely don't see anything near that where I hunt birds now.

10 minutes ago, knothead said:

In the fall, I see way more birds down in the low country than I ever have up high.  I've never been there during spring turkey season so I am not sure if they move back on top of the plateau. I once counted 42 birds in a flock and then drove 1/2 mile down the road and found another flock in the high 20's.  Definitely don't see anything near that where I hunt birds now.

In the fall flocks are much larger even sometimes up to 100 birds mostly hens and jakes or all toms. In the spring they break up into smaller breading flocks 8 to 15 birds. When you see them in the fall you think there are more because of the flock size but in the spring they are just more spread out. 

On 3/6/2023 at 8:27 AM, Little Creek Calls said:

Hope you drew the second hunt in 12A. Access will defiantly be an issue. Follow the melting snow line and don't get stuck in the snow drifts. Maybe think out side the box and bring a mountain bike that you can carry over the drifts to get access to unhunted areas. Quite a few years ago after hitting a deep drift we couldn't cross we hiked in 5 or 6 miles and got into some areas that were really good with lots of birds calling but the long hike and crossing lots of deep drifts on foot sucked. I told myself the next time I would bring a mountain bike.

For sure did get the second spilt . Ya this winter has been crazy with snow . And thanks for the tip I was planning on bringing the bike and just shooting down the fr as far as I could towards the telephone mountain,  I think it's called haha