Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Used Wall Tent - How do you find a good deal?

I've borrowed a buddy's wall tent on several occasions, and I really want to buy a good one, used. But here's the deal, seems like every time one comes up for sale, it's close to what a brand new one would run. I know lotss of people buy these things with one hunt in mind. A couple years later, they are stuck with the gear and not the passion.

If anyone is looking to unload a *quality* wall tent or Cabelas Alaknak, I'm looking for a good deal.

Check out the bargain cave at cabelas i bought my new alaknak there for half price and they had a complete wall tent for like 600$ just had to look for all the pieces

Ok, I'll break it to you; sit down. The best way would be to forego purchasing a wall tent altogether, save the money and put it toward a small travel trailer...and never have to spend a half day of valuable time setting up and then taking down one of those things again!!

• Like 2

Ok, I'll break it to you; sit down. The best way would be to forego purchasing a wall tent altogether, save the money and put it toward a small travel trailer...and never have to spend a half day of valuable time setting up and then taking down one of those things again!!

He's obviously used one on more then one occasion, so i think he knows what goes into it. Which is more or less like 1-2hrs depending on who and how many people are setting it up.

• Like 1

I have a travel trailer, but there are times when I'm hunting alone or with just one or two of my sons and don't want to drive the big diesel truck or haul that thing. Most areas I don't want to spend a week driving around on dirt roads with big heavy Excursion, and if the wife doesn't come, that's the only vehicle I'd have if I brought the camper. I've got regular tents but they just aren't as comfortable or roomy as a good wall tent.

I've set up wall tents before in under 45 minutes with another guy, and a little over an hour by myself.

• Like 1

It's not a bad idea to have both...trailer and tent, depending on the circumstances. I'm more of a tent guy. I have one for all occasions. My favorite is my Alaknak 12x12 with vestibule and wood stove. I can set it up and take it down myself in 45 - 60 minutes. There's a lot of stake pounding. I was fortunate to buy mine in 2005 when the base price was $500, including the stove. I bought it from the original Cabelas in Sydney Nebraska.

Probably the best way to find one cheaper/used is to diligently search the classifieds on various hunting sites and craigs list. It may take a while.

Good luck.

I bought one from my church. Huge one. They bought it and used it 3x for their Mexico Mission and decided to go a different way. Retail was like $1800 plus some of the extras they had purchased. They were putting it out at a "garage sale" and I asked how much ... $500. In the back of my truck it went. Thing was like new ... I almost felt guilty ... ALMOST.

Guest wdenike
I bought one from my church. Huge one. They bought it and used it 3x for their Mexico Mission and decided to go a different way. Retail was like $1800 plus some of the extras they had purchased. They were putting it out at a "garage sale" and I asked how much ... $500. In the back of my truck it went. Thing was like new ... I almost felt guilty ... ALMOST.

LMAO I'll give ya 250.00 for it!!! :rolleyes:

Why not just run one of the updated new dome tents that sleep like 8 people and use a heater buddy? They go up in 10 minutes. I Like the wall tents but I sleep in my horse trailer unless im in deep then its the 2 man tent so I am not a good judge. I have a 25 year old pole style tent that is good for 4 guys and all the gear and it goes up in 30 minutes but it wouldnt hold up in nasty snow I dont think??? Never tried it.

unless your in CO or something like that why go wall tent anyway, we don't get that kind of weather here?

Check out the Davis Tent scratch and dent sale every spring. I got my 12x14 for a really good deal and I cannot find the "color blemish" that it has. Davis Tent and Awning are #1 in my book

• Like 2

i got myself the canvas and then bought a angle kit. Made the frame myself with conduit from depot- Takes my bother and I all off 15 min to setup. Be patient and expand your search. you wont find a good deal in the valley.