Seldom Drawn

What do you consider a big bull

Why are we getting upset over what the original poster ask for "our opinion" of what constitutes a trophy bull? Can't we just respond without all the drama?

• Like 1

From the Taxidermist point of view they are all BIG!!! Thick skinned stinky big nasty ELK!!! :) At 300 inches they become difficult to handle!!!

The funniest thing to me is guys throwing out scores. I sat in Alpine and Springerville for most of the archery hunt and the beginning of the rifle/muzzy hunts. I had a mounted bull elk on a stand by my trailer and about 75% of the people would come up and say don't tell me what it scores I want to guess. I would tell them every time, "Don't get carried away with your guessing." The bull Grosses 328. Only one guy guessed 330, everyone one else was 350 or higher!!! They are all shocked when I tell them 328!!!

The biggest thing about elk is that there are soooo many measurements. Most people don't seem to realize that if you add just 1 inch to each point and the beam length you have just jumped up by 12. 330 to 340 in all relative terms is not that big of a difference. And so on down the line. just add the tip of your pinky finger to every point and you have jumped up in what most people designate classes. 340,350,360.

Hey Becker, I didn't know that was you in the parking lot. My son and I stopped by and talked briefly with you last Friday. We had just packed out my bull from the night before and were headed to 27 to help a friend pack a muzzy bull. You should put a CWT sticker on that trailer! Lol

Great topic! Last year, my 16 year old son shot is first bull (second elk...cow elk on junior hunt when he was 10). 60 minutes til dark on the last day of the hunt and the bull only had 1 antler. It had 6 tines on it and he had not hesitation in shooting. To him, it was the bull of a lifetime. No idea what a 1-antlered bull would score.

On my hunt later in the year, I missed a nice 6x6. I have no idea what he would have scored, but he was symmetrical and looked nice from the front. I then passed on two spikes that were within 200 yards, broadside, and moving very slow. Before the hunt I had decided I would not shoot at anything less than a 6x6 even if it meant going home with my tag in my pocket.

Score is not relevant to me so I am not hunting solely for points, but no ragtops either. I enjoy the meat and the mount on the wall. One day I will have a decent bull on my wall.

• Like 1

Pine Donkey, I have one just haven't had the chance to put it on yet ;)