Sign in to follow this  
TAM

Kyle's first buck!

Congrats on a great buck but I do have a question. Why does the buck still have its velvet? Seems like it would be hard horned by now.

I'd ask the deer but he's dead!

In all seriousness, the other two smaller bucks he was with were both hard horned (3x3 & 4x3). I've been on several of the early October Jr's hunts over the last several years and have almost always seen at least one buck still in velvet so I don't think it's all that rare. I saw an even bigger buck killed in a different unit on a Jr's hunt a few years ago that was also perfect velvet and that hunt took place almost a week later than this years hunt. I was actually more surprised that there were three bucks and two does together than I was about the velvet.

I know it was a silly question but I saw a small 3x2 yesterday that was hard horned so it seems strange that a big buck would still have its velvet. I guess wildlife doesn't always follow the rules, it just does what it does and we try and figure out why.

That is awesome! Huge congrats to Kyle on a stud buck! Now that's how to get started! And great job Tom and TAM getting that young man out there.

Very nice buck there Kyle! Nice job and a nice long poke to shoot that buck! Nice to see hunters helping hunters, more important, the kids. Great job there Tim!

Wow! Great shot Kyle on a incredible trophy! Congrats to all involved!!!

That is a great looking buck! Congrats!

Great job Kyle, must be one of those lazy bucks that didn't feel like rubbing off his velvet yet. He probably would have got around to it later if he hadn't met Kyle :)