Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Hawaii

I have been to Oahu but was wondering if there is anybody who has recommendations on one of the other islands?

I was thinking of trying Maui......

Is Christmas a bad time?

I know....all federal parks might be closed......should that worry me??

Pointers???

My wife grew up there. Says it depends on what you are looking for on your visit.

Maui and Kauai are better for beaches. The big island is good to go for tourist type stuff.

Christmas will see increased prices for everything.

Not sure that helps much but if you need more I will bug her for answers for you.

Been to Oahu a few times, and Kuaui once for our honeymoon. Kuaui was absolutely beautiful!!!!! Would definitely go back. Oahu is very touristy, but still a ton to do there. Was there around Christmas and it did not feel right. Seeing Santas in short sleeve shirts or without a shirt and a hula skirt sort of killed the mood while White Christmas was playing in the background. Weird, just weird!

If you go to the big island , Volcano Natl Park is closed. I don't think anything else besides Pearl Harbor would be closed. Which island depends on what you want to do. Kauai is scenic but has less activities/ attractions, I like Maui and Big Island personally.

went to oahu last summer. kayaking on the east side was very fun. trip to the north shore was also very cool. snorkeling at shark cove and turtle beach. jumped off the waimea bay rock. pearl harbor and missouri are awesome. polynesian culture center is cool. tried to avoid honolulu as much as possible. family went to the swap meet at aloha stadium. good times. maui and kauai are also nice. can't go wrong as long as you stay out of honolulu.

Kauai is great! Peaceful, quiet, relaxing. If you are looking to chill out that's the place. Not really crowded either. They do roll the streets up at 9:00 though. lol

Maui. Christmas is good. Busy. Also whale watching season.

PM me if you want a recommendation for somewhere to stay on the ocean

Just go to Kauai. You will thank everyone on here when you get back. It's incredibly beautiful, lots to do and doesn't feel touristy at all especially compared to the Big Island. Wonderful fishing, great food, kayaking, golf, perfect beaches and snorkeling. Other than that it sucks.

• Like 1

+1

Just go to Kauai. You will thank everyone on here when you get back. It's incredibly beautiful, lots to do and doesn't feel touristy at all especially compared to the Big Island. Wonderful fishing, great food, kayaking, golf, perfect beaches and snorkeling. Other than that it sucks.

I've been to Oahu, Kuwai and Maui. Oahu was nice but full of people/tourists. Kuwai was beautiful but not much to do aside from the beach (not many restaurants, ect). I liked Maui the best because it was a happy medium between Oahu and Kuwai. There was lots to do in Maui and not as crowded as Oahu.

Wife and i have been to big island and Maui twice.Once in march and last August. We love both islands. Maui has alot to offer.from water to mtns to tropical forests.We liked the big island for the volcano and we liked Kona.We hiked out to the lava flows and sat right above the ocean entry. We actually put sticks in flowing lava. We have decided that everytime we go back we will do Maui and another island each time.Maui is our favorite. If you go to Maui, you have to go to the town of Paia. To the Paia fish market. It's the best place to eat. Wherever you go i would suggest buying a guide book. We bought the blue ones by wizard publications. They are very good and very accurate.

Kauai is awesome. Got married and had our honeymoon there last year. So relaxing and plenty of stuff to do if u want to stay busy.