capoeirajosh

Looking for lion recipes!

Hey, everyone! Just tagged my first lion, so now I am on a search for some good recipes! Let's hear them. ;-)

Never had it but if their diet has anything to do with how they taste I bet it's pretty good. Unless she's been eating javelina!

Haha!!

I just cook it like any meat, flour, s&p and fry up in butter, roasts in the crockpot with potatoes and onions, that type deal, made good breakfast sausage with it too

• Like 1

Backstrap steak fingers. Fry it up like you would chicken.

Is there any risk of parasites, or does that just get killed from cooking it, if it is there? Thanks everyone! Keep them coming!

I would'nt go eatin it raw, like I said just fry it up like chicken.

There's risk of parasites with every meat you cook, wild or store bought. Lion tends to be a sweet tasting meat. I enjoy it better cooked with Asian inspired dishes, terakyi, sweet and sour, sesame. Add peppers, onions, and mushrooms and its the best meat you've had!! Also had it in jerky form (hard to mess up jerky) and have eaten it off the bone, plain. I prefer the Asian add ons but I've never had a bad cut of lion.

Wow, that all sounds great! I am new to processing. I have a grinder that came with a sausage tube. How would you go about making sausage? I do not have a smoker. Is this needed? Is it really just all about seasoning the meat throughout with certain sausage seasoning? I would like to make sausage patties as well. Thanks again!

Wow, that all sounds great! I am new to processing. I have a grinder that came with a sausage tube. How would you go about making sausage? I do not have a smoker. Is this needed? Is it really just all about seasoning the meat throughout with certain sausage seasoning? I would like to make sausage patties as well. Thanks again!

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/38660-making-javelina-sausage-today

I posted some recipes in that thread linked above. You don't need a smoker to make sausage and you don't have to put it in casings or anything complicated. Just grind it up with spices and use it however you normally use sausage (scrambled with eggs, added to pasta sauce, etc). It's usually better if you mix in some pork butt with it. Pork butt/pork shoulder roasts tend to have a good amount of fat marbled in the meat, so they are good to mix with your game meat. Or you can put in some bacon or some other source of fat so the meat isn't dry when fried up.

I suggest picking up "Bruce Aidell's Complete Sausage Book", it has about 60 recipes in for 2 to 5 lb batches. Mix 1/3 pork to 2/3 game and you will like the results.

• Like 1

Man, all of this is making me hungry, haha!! Thanks!

I suggest picking up "Bruce Aidell's Complete Sausage Book", it has about 60 recipes in for 2 to 5 lb batches. Mix 1/3 pork to 2/3 game and you will like the results.

+1 :)

TJ

• Like 1

Never had it but if their diet has anything to do with how they taste I bet it's pretty good. Unless she's been eating javelina!

is coyote any good?.

im sticking with grass eaters.