Sign in to follow this  
Elkhunter1

IT'S DINER TIME!!

Amanda and I was talking last week about there aren't many posts on Squirrel hunting or how we prepare them. This meal started over a week ago when I harvested the Squirrels. After cleaning them I place them in a Ziplock bag with only water, (salt only makes them tougher) place the bag in the fridge. I leave it for a week or longer. Now cut them up, take all the legs off then the lower back section. If they are the larger Abert Squirrel you can get some meat off of the back between the front shoulders. In one bowl mix GP flour with salt and pepper, in another beat four eggs. In a skillet heat your oil over medium heat. Dredge pieces in the flour then eggs and back to the flour. Start with the back sections and hind legs, turn after four minutes turn. Place the front legs in pan. Turn all pieces after four minutes then cover. Turn another two times. When done remove from pan, turn up heat to high and place remaining flour into pan stir until golden brown. Add cold water to pan along with salt and pepper and stir. Turn off hear when the gravy is the desired consistency. During the covered cooking I finished the mashed potatoes and home canned green beans. Enjoy with your favorite beverage. (Bass Beer)

post-5396-0-24918700-1381462491_thumb.jp

• Like 3

ive never had squirrel. you make it look real good.

It's just simple good Southern cooking. If you wanted you could add spices to the flour like; onion powder, garlic powder and paprika.

• Like 1

Can't go wrong there; that's a good way to do them.

I also like them cooked like a roast. Cut them up and put into a roasting pan w/root veggies, some wine & beef broth, cover for an hour at 375, then uncover for a bit under broiler till all nice and browned. They come out almost falling off the bone. Pretty hard to tell flavor from beef. My wife and kids even eat them!

• Like 1

When I was a kid in Illinois I once killed 50+ squirrels in one month. I had all their tails threaded onto a length of fishing line and hanging off the awning over the back deck. Now that is REDNECK!

Where are the bisquits?

I didn't have buttermilk for good biscuits.

That looks awesome Steven. When I get a chance to get back in the woods I'm going to shoot a few and try your recipe. I ate lots of fox squirrels as a kid growing up in Ohio. Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

That looks awesome Steven. When I get a chance to get back in the woods I'm going to shoot a few and try your recipe. I ate lots of fox squirrels as a kid growing up in Ohio. Thanks for sharing. :)

J

The main thing is that they rest in the fridge for at least a week, that way they age and will be tender as long as you don't overcook them.

I have never aged squirrels in the fridge...sounds like a great idea. I do that with my venison, but for some reason never applied that to squirrel. I love squirrels, they are great eating. I usually crockpot mine with mushroom soup and make a stroganoff. Thanks for sharing your recipes! Squirrel hunting seems to be under appreciated in this state. It's a great time to be out in the woods and you get to bring home great table fare.

cook them in a pressure cooker for about 15 minutes, the meat will shred off, then make it up into a batch of milk gravy and pour over biscuits