Sign in to follow this  
HD Trophy Hunts

Big John gets his Big Bear

We had told John to be ready to go opening weekend and as soon as we got our first two hunts done we would bring him in. Saturday night John and Randy rolled into camp.

Sunday we ran a bear that was sponsored by Nike. The dogs put in over 20 miles, we saw the bear 2 different times in front of the dogs and when he finally did tree, he came out of the tree before we could even get to the tree. Anyone that says that bear hunting with hounds is easy needs to experience a day like that, it was a long rough day. We had similar experience with John on a giant bear last year, I think he was about ready to give up on bear hunting!

Monday morning we started a good sized track that immediately took the dogs up into the rough country, the first thing we thought was we had got back on the track star from the day before. The dogs split and we had two races all of the sudden. This bear went up and up and up and treed 1200feet in elevation higher than where we started.

John took this gorgeous old bear with his 10mm.

post-1139-0-21981100-1381874337_thumb.jpg

post-1139-0-37197800-1381874378_thumb.jpg

After getting Johns bear killed and the skinning started Randy and I went to find the other 3 dogs that had split off, they were also treed 1.5 miles the opposite direction of the truck. We headed up that direction and went through a bunch of nasty country only to find a jumper when we got there. This young sow jumped 3 or 4 times before she finally stopped. Randy looked her over and having already harvested a nice boar last year he passed, I was glad he did, because that was one pack out I did NOT want to make!

post-1139-0-36975100-1381875026_thumb.jpg

post-1139-0-28135800-1381875056_thumb.jpg

post-1139-0-21288800-1381875098_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking!

-Mike

• Like 1

Great looking bears!! Awesome job!