Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Matt's Youth Coues

Hey guys, my oldest son Matt and I got back from a fun youth hunt on Monday night. Matt was able to take a nice 3x3 on the last morning of our hunt.

We got out there Wednesday night hoping to scout all day Thursday, but it started raining hard around midnight and didn't stop until around 10 on Thursday. Once it was dry enough to drive on the soupy roads we headed out to a spot we had found on the map that looked promising. We found a few tracks, but overall it seemed a little sparse for sign. Then on the way out we found a really good set of sheds.

post-478-0-51825300-1381940242_thumb.jpg

This got us a little more exited about the area for sure. We did a little more scouting that evening and found a way to glass that area from the bottom, did a little shooting at coyotes (missed 3 times due to not having the range finder handy) but we knew where we wanted to be opening morning.

Friday morning we headed in and I dropped Matt off about a mile before the glassing spot so he could hunt some of the other ridges while I glassed the canyon we figured the big guy to be in. At about 7 I found a decent 3x3, then another almost identical to him, and finally through a gap in the brush I found a good looking buck bedded right in the open on the hillside. I got on the radio and told Matt to head on over. When I got back to the glass, the bedded buck was gone. A little more glassing and I found him moving down the hill in the sunlight and got a good look at him, and he was a dandy - maybe the same buck we had found the sheds from. I watched him drop out of sight behind a little knob.

When Matt got there we located the smaller 3x3 and a little forkie I hadn't seen earlier. The shot was a little long, and he really wanted to wait out the bigger buck. Finally Matt got to see the big buck move out from behind the knob as he was heading to a bedding area. There was no time for a shot, and it was out of reach anyway - about 650 yards, so we made a plan to get closer for the later part of the hunt.

On the way out we found another coyote, and Matt nailed him this time.

post-478-0-06760200-1381941054_thumb.jpg

We tried to get back on that buck Friday at noon but ended up on the wrong ridge, then at evening got on the right ridge, but the sun was right in our face and we really couldn't see anything. Saturday morning we were back to the same spot, but didn't find a single deer on that hill. The wind started up right at first light and just got worse as the morning progressed. We headed to Snowflake to coach my youngest son's football game and didn't get back to camp until dark.

Sunday morning we were back to the same spot at first light and picked up a doe, but nothing else seemed to be moving. I was starting to get a little discouraged thinking we had maybe pushed the bucks out of this spot and was about to suggest we go look for a new area when Matt motioned to me that he had found two bucks. This kid can sure glass. One of the bucks was a small 3x3 and the other a heavy 2x2. After a little discussion, we figured that there was a good chance the big buck would start moving, so he elected to pass on those two. They moved into the same bedding area the bigger buck had gone Friday morning and we didn't see anything else the rest of the morning. In the evening we headed out to a new area just to explore in hopes of lucking into something. We didn't find any deer, but found this really cool gopher snake crossing the road.

post-478-0-86279200-1381941722_thumb.jpg

Monday morning it was the last shot we had, as we had to head home in the afternoon. We went back to our spot even earlier and started glassing. Matt was kind of kicking himself for passing the small 3x3 the day before, but we were still optomistic. Right away we found a couple of does, but no bucks. We moved our position a little to get an angle where we could see more of the hill. Matt found a small forkie moving in some thick stuff, but we could only get glmpses of him through a big cedar tree. I got up and started glassing the upper portions of the canyon to see if there was anything behind us, and as I panned back down there was a nice 3x3 feeding down the hill directly across from where we had been glassing - he was just 200 yards away and right out in the open - almost exactly where the big buck was on Friday morning.

I showed him to Matt, and he said, "I'm shooting him". We got set up for the shot and had to wait for him to come out from behind a big cedar tree. As soon as he stepped out, he was quartering to us slightly but broadside enough for a clean shot. Matt made a perfect shot and I watched the buck hunch up, then run behind the closest tree. Turned out to be a very big and very short blood trail, as it was a heart shot. It wasn't the big guy we had hunted for 4 days, but Matt couldn't have been happier.

post-478-0-38197300-1381942312_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-86183500-1381942327_thumb.jpg

Matt packing him out.

post-478-0-38238000-1381942354_thumb.jpg

A big thanks goes out to the CWT members that were willing to share some info to get us started in an area that was new to us. You guys responed via PM, so I'll keep your identity private, but I really appreciate your willingness to share information and get us pointed in the right direction.

• Like 4

great hunt and great pics guys!!! Awesome Coues right here and even better memories.

• Like 1

Jason, give my congratulations to your son Matt on his buck. Loved the story and the pics. Thanks for sharing. You certainly are blessed to have all your sons enjoying your passion for the sport. Looking forward to more of your success stories. :)

TJ

Matt, sounds like you are well on your way to helping your dad out someday. Taking solo hunts and being able to glass yourself really contributes to the group effort. Congratulations on taking a nice buck and believing in your abilities enough to pass others up. Really nice pictures and write up. I would have to hold that snake a little closer to the head though, those things have bit the crap out of me a few times.

Great job guys. Sounds like a great hunt!!