cramerhunts

The Tuff Luck Buck

We went into this hunt with high expectations and illusions of big bucks roaming the hills opening morning. Even though we had put a lot of time in scouting and had everything lined up for a slam dunk things didn’t go quite as planned.

With much anticipation I picked my twelve year old daughter, Jaycie up from school on Thursday afternoon to head down to start her Jr hunt. We were to meet my cousin, her “uncle John” at camp that night. We arrived without incident to find dinner ready and some news that our utility trailer hauling my rzr had come unhitched from John’s truck wrecking the jack on the way to camp…not a big issue, we are in deer camp.

IMGP0758_zpsbe651ee0.jpg

IMGP0755_zps524a05a4.jpg

We all got a fitful night’s sleep and were up well before daylight heading to our predetermined glassing spot. Everything was going just as I had envisioned, spotted a few does up feeding, the wind was in our faces, until the sounds of hounds filled the air. Fall bear was in full swing and apparently we weren’t the only ones that had been seeing the bears in this canyon as there were hounds busily trailing a fresh scent up and down the draws we were so busily glassing. My patience lasted all of about three hours before I decided we needed to pack up and head to our plan b location.

IMG_1561_zpsf26a9120.jpg

We arrived midday and checked our trail cameras in the area and were pleasantly surprised to find the bucks were still moving through but most seemed to be well after dark.

IMG_1578_zpsca480be5.jpg

Not long into glassing Jaycie and I had a spike at 220 yards that she elected to pass. Even though we had some great bucks on camera Jaycie said she would take any buck except a spike…..too bad as this one would have been a very easy shot and pack out. Back into the optics we went and about an hour before dark John called me over to say he had spotted a buck we had nicknamed Tank. He has a huge body and a pretty good set of antlers to go with it. He was feeding about 700 yards from our location so we took off in a hurry to close the gap. We got to 370 yards and the waiting game ensued. Darkness fell without an opportunity at Tank as he was buried in the thick stuff and never presented a clear shot.

Day two started out bright and early with the wind screaming and it was flat out cold for an October hunt. We buttoned down the hatches, bundled up and headed off to get set up before the first rays of sunlight peeked over the ridges.

IMG_1566_zpsaf383490.jpg

In no time at all we had a dozen does and one big bear spotted but no bucks. We decided to not go after the bear in hopes of getting Jaycie on a buck. Soon I spotted a lone buck feeding into a thick canyon. As the sun began to climb overhead the activity slowed considerably and the wind seemed to pick up.

IMG_1560_zps1477dfef.jpg

IMG_1567_zpscbdd2f2c.jpg

Around noon I was able to pick up a buck getting up for a stretch. He soon bedded back down and I showed Jaycie and John where he was located. Not long after Jaycie said let’s go get him dad. I patiently explained to her what exactly would be involved with going after this buck and the odds of actually getting a shot were slim. She looked me square in the eye and said so what’s the problem. Needless to say off we went with John staying behind to keep tabs on the bedded buck. With some time and luck we were able to close the distance to 250 yards. Right about the time we were getting set up John comes over the radio to say the buck was up and moving. We hurried to finish setting up just in time to see the buck feed into the brush.

IMG_1568_zps622e61fd.jpg

IMG_1569_zps93803f6e.jpg

Finally the buck showed himself through a small opening and Jaycie took her shot. The buck spun around and headed back into the brush but soon showed himself and Jaycie took out both lungs and the buck dropped in his tracks. First Coues buck down! John hurried over to where we were at and we took some quick pictures.

IMG_1575_zpsb863b752.jpg

IMGP0747_zps952945ea.jpg

IMGP0743_zpsa80c292c.jpg

Now the work began. With light fading fast a quick plan was made that Jaycie and John would head down the canyon with the buck and I would go get the rzr to come up from the bottom. Right before we split up Jaycie took a head first tumble into a Spanish dagger. Unfortunately one big piece broke off in Jaycie’s wrist which made for a long hike out in the dark.

IMG_1580_zps0008e9e3.jpg

We finally made it back to camp only to find the wind had torn off my awning, knocked the trailer off the jack (breaking it), and bending the tongue up to the point of separating the front cap from the sides.

photo1_zps9d53552a.jpg

Oh well buck down and everybody in mostly one piece. John and I cleaned up Jaycie’s wrist and tried our best to get the thorn out but didn’t have any luck. By now it’s pushing midnight so we all decided to call it a day. The next day we broke camp and headed back to town. On the way we had a flat on the rzr trailer. No worries we had a spare. Off to the ER we go to get the thorn out. Jaycie ended up getting three stitches as the DR had to cut the thorn out.

IMG_1581_zpsee53cb88.jpg

Ok finally on our way home and not thirty miles on the freeway and we had a blow out on the trailer. At this point we are laughing to keep from crying, another spare and back on the road. We finally made it home at 10:30 that night and much to my surprise and something that makes me so proud, my 12 year old daughter looks at me and says, “Dad it was so worth it”! I can’t wait for our next adventure.

Trailer Tongue Jack = $35

Trailer Awning = $1,250

Electric Trailer Jack = $200

Front Cap of Toy Hauler = $5,000

Two Trailer Tires = $250

ER Visit = $125

Daughter’s first Coues deer = priceless!

• Like 17

Its all worth it in the end when our kids had fun and want to do it again! Congrats on a sweet buck and a lifetime of memories! We don't do it cause its cheap! LOL

• Like 1

Congrats on an outstanding first coues buck!!

In a world too lazy to get out from behind the electronics it's fantasitic to see a tough young lady stand up to the challenge and get it done. Complements to Dad on a job well done!!

Congrats to your daughter on her first buck! So cool! All the issues will just make this hunt that much more memorable.

Phil, congrats to you and Jaycie on a well earned buck!

Every time she looks at that scar she is going to think of that crazy deer hunt with her Dad and her Uncle!!!

I agree with sundevil. Wow what a story and what and awesome hunt for your daughter. Congrats to all on that one. Enjoy that buck. Probably the most you will ever spend on backstrap.

What a mixed up hunt Jaycie. Glad you werent hurt any more than you were. Congrats on a great buck especially with all that went on. Congrats Phil for sticking with it. Great job everyone............"youth hunts Priceless..........." Allen Taylor.......

The odds are outstanding that you used up pretty much 20 years bad luck in just this one trip. Smooth sailing from here on out. Great write up and pictures. Congratulations to your daughter on a fine buck and for being so tough. Congratulations to you also for being able to laugh about the train wreck of a weekend. Those bucks will be bigger next year!

Congrats to Jaycie! Very nice buck. And you worry about them getting hurt playing softball…….lol!

That will be a hunt you all will talk about for years to come. Glade it all worked out. Congrats

Phil, I love it! Nothing like a little adventure to go along with a coues hunt. Congrats Jaycie, you are becoming quit the killing machine. Now it is time for a bull.