Sign in to follow this  
doogan

Unit 22N Cow Hunt

My two brother in laws drew cow tags this year. We were able to fill both tags and had a great time too. We also got some much appreciated help from mbiewer here on CWT, thanks Matt!

One of my bro in laws Stephen has never taken a big game animal, so my other bro in law TJ and I had committed to helping him do this. Or at least give him as much of an opportunity as we could. Stephen has hunted with us for 10 years and has seen our successes but never his own.

Opening morning we were into elk from the word go. We had Stephen on 3 different cows all within 120 yards, one at 60-80, but we just couldn't make it happen. We had hiked about a mile and a half from camp up on a ridge line. I found an elk super highway that ran through a small clearing, it had some very fresh sign in it. Knowing that with the full moon the elk would be up and moving later in the day, we sat and waited. About an hour and a half later TJ turned to me and asked what the plan was. I chuckled and said "we wait some more". As I was speaking a cow walked out so I told TJ to shoot it since Stephen was not in a position to. BOOM! One down one to go!

post-5812-0-56972400-1382642345_thumb.jpg

So after taking care of the dirty work we still had to pack her off the mountain and get her to the processor.

post-5812-0-43632200-1382642537_thumb.jpg

We didn't get back to camp with much time to hunt that evening so we ate well and slept even better. Saturday morning was the same as Friday- into elk right away. I had told Stephen that he needed to shoot one before the sun came up so we weren't fighting the heat like we were the day before. At 6:40 a half mile behind camp, a cow walked out at 30 yards! Luckily Stephen had his gun in his hands and not on his shoulder! So I told him to shoot her and BOOM! She dropped like a ton of bricks- I mean her legs tucked up before she hit the ground! I was so excited I think my war whoop was louder than Stephens! I don't think I've seen a bigger smile on his face in 10 years!

post-5812-0-66695200-1382643073_thumb.jpg

Like I said we were only a half mile from camp, so we were able to drag her back whole since it was all downhill, and skinned her out in the back of the truck.

This was a great trip topped off by The Lord helping us to fill both tags! Trust me when I say that that second cow was an answer to many prayers! And smiles like that are what makes it all worth it!

Cant wait to do it again, we have late Nov wt tags down in 36! Should be fun!

Thats awsome cool story!! my hunt is in the same unit ill be there the 14th-25th

Thats awsome cool story!! my hunt is in the same unit ill be there the 14th-25th

Nice! Tie one to a tree for me lol. We'll be there Nov 29- Dec 8. Good luck!

• Like 1

Way to get it done! That's awesome, congratulations!!!

Sweet job on the double!! Will be there in November too with a bow.

Congrats on some nice elk!

Nice! Tie one to a tree for me lol. We'll be there Nov 29- Dec 8. Good luck!

haha! 6x6 work out for you?