Sign in to follow this  
CouesKilla

Sunday Morning Success with pics

We had gone back into unit we had not been in for over 10 years (scouting from 10 years ago is still good, right?) While my brother posted up on the same spot we did way back I tried to switch things up a bit and get into some steeper, rockier and timbered terrain in hopes of getting a big one opening morning. Day one goes by with my dad and my brother catching glimpses of 2 bucks, but could never get them in the scope before they disappeared. The only deer I saw was through the glass at about half a mile away, it was a samll buck walking within a stones through of where we had parked the trucks. Crazy.

Both evening hunts where essentially nature hikes with no deer spotted except a bunch of does glassed from the truck.

The second morning was a bit more action packed while I had seen nothing but a couple does. My brother radioed me and said he saw a huge buck up by me, but I could never get glass on it. While he was glassing this buck from afar turns out there was another buck on the hill to his right. Something can be said for spending too much time behind glass. This deer had already walked clear across the hill and almost out of sight before my brother spotted it and he missed a 310 yard shot as it bounded away into the canyon below. My walk through the area where he had seen the big buck turned out to be fruitless.

Sunday moring was do or die for us. We both had tweeked our plans to get in areas where we had been seeing most of our deer. While I was in a great area nothing was moving around me early morning. At about 6:50 shot rang out in my brothers direction. After about 15 minutes passing of me looking for deer flushing to me and waiting for a call from my brother 2 more shoots ring out. Then I get the call to come over with my knife. His first shot at 180 yards was a bit back, and when he approached it he tried to finish him off only to miss at 20 yards and then the final third shot in the neck ended it. Not sure if thats where he was aiming with the adrenaline and all. Never the less it was a good morning.

At the end of the day the spot that was hot 10 years ago is where all the action still was. So much for me trying something new. I have no idea how to measure bucks, but this is the 2nd biggest coues we have ever taken out of this area. I'm guessing somewhere in the 90's. If he had some more mass he would have been a real good one.

The biggest buck we had got in this area many years back, we had measured by someone who knew how, was 109". My brother said the huge buck he spotted on day two was even bigger than that. I guess we will try and get him next year.

post-2597-0-24487000-1382980970_thumb.jpg

post-2597-0-02014900-1382981007_thumb.jpg

post-2597-0-98530600-1382981040_thumb.jpg

post-2597-0-95787700-1382981076_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Congrats on a great buck......and your old hunting area is of the "don't fix it if it isn't broken" type!