Sign in to follow this  
Coues assassin

How you bow hunt coues

I have killed a few cow elk and some javelina in hopes of chasing a big coues with my bow in the rut, and eventually a big bull elk. I consider myself to be a pretty good shot, I just recently bought a PSE Omen max and love it I'm ready to hunt. Now my question is how do most of you guys hunt these ghosts in the rut? Spot and stalk? Sit water? Call them in with rattling horns? I'm assuming majority of you spot and stalk, if so what would be a typical range you shoot? Thanks in advance this website is truly very helpful

I used spot a stalk on mine but you will have to move very. Very slow.i have never used horns but it will work.

Did you have to do any crawling once getting close? Also did u spot and wait for him to bed before making the stalk?

I use a couple strategies that have taken me within 75 yards several times, still yet to connect but have been very, very close to letting an arrow fly at a coues, and have taken a little mulie.

I think you will hear most people like to spot and stalk in the rut, and the distance they close to is entirely dependent on the conditions at that time in that place, and the hunter's ability to shoot X amount of yards in those conditions. If I had the equipment, I may shoot a little farther but I limit myself at 60 yards on live game, and practice a little farther. I know folks will jump in and say I and others need to shoot farther to be successful but I'm confident to 60 and that's that.

Another method that I have used and have heard of many having success, which again depends on the time and place, is to find/glass does and set up on their trail, suspecting bucks will be in order to follow the same "hot" trail. When I heard of this technique, I immediately remembered a day in the recent January when 2 mature bucks ended up on the exact trail of a group of does just a couple hours later. This was in open country desert scrub, where the bucks could have taken any path they wanted.. They followed exactly the same course as the does.

I may sit water in a dry August hunt, but probably not during the rut. In forested areas, some people do really well setting up stands in high traffic areas during the rut too.

• Like 2

During the rut, I find a good consistent group of older does and set up natural blinds on their trail. Stay scent-free and sit still with the right wind. Now for the early season, find water and shade.

I'm a 60 yard maximum guy just like CouesPursuit.

I use a couple strategies that have taken me within 75 yards several times, still yet to connect but have been very, very close to letting an arrow fly at a coues, and have taken a little mulie.

I think you will hear most people like to spot and stalk in the rut, and the distance they close to is entirely dependent on the conditions at that time in that place, and the hunter's ability to shoot X amount of yards in those conditions. If I had the equipment, I may shoot a little farther but I limit myself at 60 yards on live game, and practice a little farther. I know folks will jump in and say I and others need to shoot farther to be successful but I'm confident to 60 and that's that.

Another method that I have used and have heard of many having success, which again depends on the time and place, is to find/glass does and set up on their trail, suspecting bucks will be in order to follow the same "hot" trail. When I heard of this technique, I immediately remembered a day in the recent January when 2 mature bucks ended up on the exact trail of a group of does just a couple hours later. This was in open country desert scrub, where the bucks could have taken any path they wanted.. They followed exactly the same course as the does.

I may sit water in a dry August hunt, but probably not during the rut. In forested areas, some people do really well setting up stands in high traffic areas during the rut too.

Awesome info, thank you I always thought about that if I see does sit on the trail. Well hopefully this will be the year you get that coues. All that experience is gonna pay off. I'm just getting started

Awesome info, thank you I always thought about that if I see does sit on the trail. Well hopefully this will be the year you get that coues. All that experience is gonna pay off. I'm just getting started

I appreciate that, thank you very much.

Sad to say I can't deer hunt until January and even sadder to say (on this CW forum), ducks will prevent me from getting out more than a day or two until August. Good luck to you!

I'll also comment quick on the rattling horns since you asked. I used the antlers from my first rifle coues once during the rut, and had the attention of a great 100"+ buck for almost 30 minutes without either one of us flinching. He was 150 yards away and I had no cover to get closer under the conditions of the wind (spot and stalk attempt, so that's why I pulled pulled out the antlers). When the suspense was over, he walked off slightly aggitated but never made a single step closer to me.

I learned enough to know it could have worked under different conditions. I may have been too loud, not loud enough, too frequent, not frequent enough, big smart buck like that just knew, or didn't see enough evidence for the rattling to be true.. who knows.. but it can definitely work!

Last January I called in a nice coues buck from 300 yards across a canyon using an estrus bleed. I had glasses the hillside for what seemed an hour and never saw a thing. Once I hit the estrus bleet he jumped up and took off on a dead run towards me. I quickly made a hasty ground blind and within 20 minutes he was within 35 yards but would not break out of the oak thicket. All I could see was his head as he searched for the hot doe. After 10 minutes or so of not seeing the the supposed doe he turned and headed back down the hillside. I often wonder if I had a decoy or some doe pee if he would have given me a clear shot. Good luck this year.

Last year I stalked four coues bucks all under 40yds, missed shots of course. When in the rut look for travel corridors, WAIT for stalkable conditions, can't stress this enough. In the rut I try to intercept bucks checking for hot does. They seemed more intent from going to A to B even in the wide open. I don't wear camo but too me the wind is everything.

• Like 1

Merry Christmas,

I can get within 40 yards, regular in my two hunting grounds. My weapon of choice, recurve or self bow, means I need to be 20 and under. I have only two deer with a bow in three years, so I am no expert. (aka natureboyfloyd….I needed a new account).

Yesterday sums up what I think is a common error. Moving that extra step when not looking. I "knew" a deer lay in the swale, and had an arrow nocked. But, I simply did not look through a fallen oak, no leaves just the log and branches, and as a result the buck got up, meekly and embarrassed, at 30 yards,

Had I just looked another 30 seconds, I may have had a chance. Many of blown stalks are a result of not moving slow. With a compound, I think a person can stalk and shoot within 40-45 yards if patient.

I move slow when I either watch every bug and blade of grass, or imagine that someone else is hunting me. Corny, but slows me down.

These deer seem hard to pattern to with in 40 yards, so any funnel you find is golden.

Happy Holidays. Let us kill some deer and post a few. :)

For me its all about the terrain. In noisy country I sit ambushes. In better stalking country I'll try to sneak in. Frankly though I've mostly hunted ambushes for the last few years and believe, for me at least, it gets me far more close encounters and more shot opportunities. The trade off is that I see fewer deer than when working binoculars. However since I'm not a horn hunter I'm willing to trade seeing a couple bcks within bow range over seeing ten of them at long range whom I have low probability of getting close to.

Since this was the first year I have purchased and used trail cameras I have combined the two methods and so far I've been having decent luck. Since I know from the trial cams when and where they are moving I have been sitting back just far enough of their area that I can stay hidden well. Then when I find that they are moving in that area I am watching, I switch to spot and stalk and try and move in on them, playing the wind the whole time. I usually keep it to a short stalk, 100 yards or less. By doing this I have gotten withing 50 yards of two different bucks but a shot was never presented.

I find that sitting off of their popular areas keeps them calm and the short stalk makes it good because you don't always feel rushed to cover long distances in short time. I guess it helps me remember to take my time with every move I make and hopefully soon I will also be able to arrow a nice buck.

Patients and choosing only stalkable quarry.

I choose to hunt in windy conditions, slight precip or moisture. Not all bucks are stalkable into my bow range (under 35yds).I know archers capable of slinging arrows over 70yds but in real hunt situation I think accuracy suffers.The bows of today is capable no doubt about that.. but human error increases at longer distance. Plus I hunt with primitive gear so my hunt begins at 70yds!

I attempted four stalks and finally felt comfortable with a shot and I took a nice eater coues buck at 32yds this past hunt.

Patients and confidence...good luck.