Sign in to follow this  
Azjeeper

How many sight pins?

I have a 60 pound bow and am looking to upgrade the sights. Im new to archery and have no idea what sight or how many pins to go with.

Really just depends how far you want to shoot. I used to like the simplicity of a 3pin set up but found it didn't offer enough range for long shots in the desert. I now shoot a 5 pin that gets me out to 70 yards. Some guys like the 7 or even 8 pin sights but I don't care for them myself. Just too easy to get confused about which pin to use when the pressure is on.

Only one. Adjustable from 20-110. Better sight picture with only one vertical pin.

I have a 7 pin sight and have shot a few animals with it....but last time I was out I got a little target panic on an elk by getting confused with them all.

When the fever sets in it turns into a big jumble of pins and you can't figure out which to use.

CBE 5 pin is what's next, that way I can adjust it out longer ranges if I want to.

I shoot a Trophy Ridge Outlaw 5 pin. 0-25, 35, 45, 50, and 60. Good to go!

I use a Black Gold 5 pin. I've never used a 1 pin sight, don't know much about them.

This Sept. I snuck in on a bull that was bugling and he busted me but there was another bull that had been bedded down in the same area that I didn't know was there. I saw him, he saw me and stood up. I guessed him to be at 45 yard......split my 40 and 50 yard pins and SMOKED him....That quick shot with little time to think is why I like a 5 pin sight.

I like 5 pins on a moveable sight. I get 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 on the "home setting" then by adjusting and using the bottom pin I can go as far as I want with individual yard accuracy. This way I can "dial in" further shots but I don't get caught with my shorts down when the bull runs in to 30 yards.

when I shot a 7 pin sight I took a silver sharpie and wrote 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 on the base of the pins as a quick reference to ease things in the heat of the moment. I've also seen people put colored shrink tubing on pins to help as well-such as on all odd yardages.

when I shot a 7 pin sight I took a silver sharpie and wrote 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 on the base of the pins as a quick reference to ease things in the heat of the moment. I've also seen people put colored shrink tubing on pins to help as well-such as on all odd yardages.

I used a label maker and numbered every other pin. Stuck them on and added a drop of super glue on top. Haven't used wrong pin yet.

Does anyone know anything about the Trophy Ridge react sight? Ive narrowed down the choices between that one or the black gold 5 pin.

/> I shoot a Trophy Ridge Outlaw 5 pin. 0-25, 35, 45, 50, and 60. Good to go!

curious why you set it up that way?

Well, at 50 and 60 my arrows arrow drop more rapidly so to keep my pin spacing semi-uniform I had to give up the 5's on the last two... Anything closer than 25yds is good to go with minimal hold under.