Sign in to follow this  
rclouse79

Would you rather?

Would you rather glass until the end of the day and then hike down the mountain 2.7 miles in the dark back to your truck to sleep on a nice comfy mattress, or haul in water and food before the hunt and sleep on a thermarest up on the mountain? I am on the fence right now leaning towards the first option.

LOL I would rather hike back and sleep on a comfy mattress. But sometimes you gotta rough it to get the drop on a big buck, or to get past other hunters. Hiking the water and food in is just another scouting trip in there too. Food for thought.

• Like 1

I've done it many times prior to getting pack goats.

Hike it in, stash your water, a good bedroll and a tent and anything else that you might need for a few days. As doogan said above, use these times to get more scouting in. Then the day of your hunt hike in your food, gun and sleeping bag. This will allow you to glass longer, be in the area without disturbing it as much and save you energy you will need for packing out your deer. When the hunt is done just reverse the process. Im getting older so I like a little more comfortable camp these days so I now have pack goats carry in the loads in and out. :)

GBA

• Like 1

At my old age I would rather sleep on the mountain than go 2.7 miles in the dark. I don't see or heal as well as I used to. Although a real good bed and some good vittles make it more appealing to make the hike.

I go back and forth. Usually I end up hiking more and sleeping less. Those long hikes in the dark really start to wear on your psyche after a while though. As a kid I remember road hunting a lot, what happened to those days?

i have a hard time finding anywhere thats 2.7 miles from a road. i always hear people say to go over the next ridge to get away from people but when i get there im on another road.

• Like 2

i have a hard time finding anywhere thats 2.7 miles from a road. i always hear people say to go over the next ridge to get away from people but when i get there im on another road.

That is why I love my hunting spot. The only people I have ever seen way back there are illegals.

• Like 2

That's a toss up. Either way you don't get enough sleep. Hiking you get up early and return late. Staying up there no sleep from the rock under your bag! 👎😖😡

Since your only going to make the hike once( your going to tag out the first morning anyway) I would just make the hike!

Although the mattress is probably more comfortable, I would make the hike and stay. It would be a heck of a lot more fun

Pack the comfty mattress in lol! You could invest in a light weight comfty foam or inflate able mattress, I had a friend that hiked in and slept on hammocks during October hunts and looked comfortable

Depends on where my bottle of hooch is located

LOL Pack that in too, then you have motivation to stay out on the mountain!

Call me crazy, but I'd prefer a comfy place to sleep any day. It's my reward for hiking all day.

• Like 1

are you running a ridge or on an established trail or bushwacking through cat claw and cactus over up, downs?

are you running a ridge or on an established trail or bushwacking through cat claw and cactus over up, downs?

There is just a bit of bushwacking and about a mile of pretty steep down with easy walking after that.