Sign in to follow this  
palivs2hnt

A signed over tag....

CWT Family!

Wow! What a weekend it was! My 10 year old Son Braeden did not draw a tag for his first year eligible to hunt, so I signed my Unit 33 rifle coues tag over to him. We left very late Thursday night and arrived at our typical camping spot only to find other hunters already there. Plan B,C and D spots were also taken. We hunted around for another location to camp that night which took quite some time. Gotta love Arizona with all the tags in these units! A spot was found, camp unpacked and the pop-up trailer set up. Shortly thereafter, my good hunting buddy Kevin showed up with all his gear. Kevin also had a tag. We were able to get about 2 hours of sleep before the alarm went off for our opening morning hunt.

We hit our glassing spot a good 30 min before sun up and caught a few minutes of shut eye in the dark. Immediately we started glassing deer. We found one really good 3 point but he was at the top of the mountain 860 yards away. No sooner had we found him, he disappeared into the trees. We continued to glass and found another solid 2 point at 400 yards. This was our predetermined max distance for Braeden to shoot. We were in the process of setting him up for the shot when 2 other hunters appeared below us running up the hill towards the group of deer. Of course, the deer spooked over the mountain. The morning was a bust after that. We stayed all day at this glassing point. Several does were spotted moving about all day long. Around 5pm, a group of does was spotted just below us at 120 yards. Upon closer evaluation, a spike and small 2 point were spotted headed up the hill with these deer. Apparently these deer were spooked from other hunters sitting a nearby water hole. Braeden was able to connect on the spike with his first shot, however it was a poor shot. The spike was hit in the lower right leg. We waited about 30 minutes and started our tracking. We had good blood initially, but after about 300 yards we began to lose the trail as it headed uphill. Never a good thing when tracking deer! We backed out that night with the plan to return in the am to resume the trail.

We had a great dinner of Morten’s steak, stag chili and jalapeno poppers that night. Another hunting friend Scottie joined us in camp that night for the next day’s hunt. It was a restless night of sleep to say the least. Morning again came very early! At our glassing spot before the sun came up, only to have 2 different sets of hunters show up below us after sun up. We spotted the group of deer from the night before with the spike moving well, but limping with that right leg. We watched them bed and the stalk was on. Braeden and I were able to get to within 160 yards of the bedded spike. We waited in the sun taking turns sleeping and watching for the next 6 hours. The spike never once came out. We both became impatient and began second guessing if he gave us the slip somehow. We then made the plan to head over to the bedding location. We got within 10 yards of the tree and out he comes running straight uphill! Braeden and I gave chase to that dang spike straight up the mountain with several shot opportunities, but no shots fired as Braeden wasn’t quick enough. We ended with the spike going over the mountain, us exhausted and Braeden about passing out with tears running down his face. I pushed him too hard. Lesson learned! Just hate wounding game. A long hike down the mountain frustrated and exhausted ended our second day of the hunt. That night we went into town and ate a fantastic dinner at the Oracle Inn. That night everyone slept great!

With as hot as the weather was, I told Kevin that I would like to sit/hunt water on day three. I planned on hiking Braeden into a water hole that I have killed some archery deer on. It is about a 3 mile hike, but gets us away from other hunters. Kevin and Scottie decided to join us for the day. Kevin and Scottie took a different approach to the tank and Braeden and I went our way. We were again sitting a mountain bluff about a mile away from the tank when the sunrise appeared on day 3. Immediately, a spike was spotted solo. Braeden was able to shoot at this spike at 320 yards, but missed very closely. We watched as this spike made its way towards the tank. We made a plan to a ridge that would put us in shooting distance to the tank. We set up under some shade and within 10 minutes had the first doe at the tank. Kevin and Scottie showed shortly thereafter and set up under some trees near us. Not 15 minutes later we had 2 spikes at the tank at 290 yards. For some reason, Kevin was not ready yet, so Braeden took the shot. His bullet splashed right in front of the head of the drinking spike! That spike boogied like I’ve never seen! Braeden was fighting some pretty good buck fever! Another 30 minutes went by, when another spike arrived at the tank with 2 doe. Kevin had a better vantage of this buck so he took the shot, dropping the spike in its tracks. Kevin and Scottie went down to gut and quarter the deer and pack it out. They left us all the water they could spare and headed back to camp to pack up and get the meat on ice.

It was now just the two of us. What a day I tell you! We had close to 30 does and another 8 bucks come into water from about 10am to 3pm! Braeden missed another spike and a 3x3 2 times! The 3x3 would not commit to come into water so those shots were 420 yards. At 3pm, we were down to our last water and Braeden decided that after the next deer we would pack up and head out. Not 2 minutes later that same 3x3 showed up again hanging outside of range. He stayed away from the tank, pacing back and forth for 15 min! He was thirsty, but nervous to come to water. I was not going to allow him to shoot at those distances again. All of the sudden, 5 doe showed up and began to drink at the water tank. The buck saw this and made a B-line for the water. I told Braeden the range was 290 yards (he practiced at 300 very comfortably) and reminded on where to hold with the Leupold LR reticle attached to his 7mm-08, shooting 140g Bergers. I looked over at him and he had his eyes closed saying a prayer! He opened his eyes, took aim and dropped the 3x3 in his tracks! I yelled “you nailed him”!! Braeden then yelled “that’s what I’m talking about”!! The buck dropped next to the tank, but out of our view as a small tree covered where he lay. We packed up and headed down to the tank. The buck needed one more through the chest when we arrived at 30 yards, but was not going anywhere. We quickly took some photos, caped the buck and boned him out. We both had very heavy packs, but made that 3 mile hike out in under an hour! Braeden would not let me catch my breath on the way out, he was an animal with all that adrenaline running through him! Kevin picked us up and he had already packed up camp and all our gear into the vehicles. We were able to head home right away!

The drive home itself was very interesting as well….I had to borrow my Brother’s truck as I recently sold mine and have yet to buy a new one. While doing 65mph down the highway, a large Owl decided to fly directly at me and imbed itself within the grill of my Brother’s truck! Now he gets a custom grill I guess! What an ending to an incredible hunt!

This was seriously one of the coolest days of my life! I am grateful that the hunting tradition was taught to me as a child and that I can pass it to my children. I’m also grateful for a site like this, that allows us to share in our passion. Enjoy the pictures! Sorry for the long winded story!

Justin

post-2155-0-92929100-1383162820_thumb.jpg

post-2155-0-76363800-1383162839_thumb.jpg

post-2155-0-47526200-1383162860_thumb.jpg

post-2155-0-48815000-1383162883_thumb.jpg

post-2155-0-22052900-1383162916_thumb.jpg

post-2155-0-33967000-1383162944_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

thats awesome!! I love the picture of him looking into the deer's face with amazement.

I agree! That is pure joy on that young mans face! You can feel his sense of accomplishment and happiness. THAT is what hunting is all about!

that is awesome! Congrats to your boy. That experience will probably cement your boys love for hunting forever all because you sacrificed your tag. Good for you!

By the way, I love the picture of that owl. (not for the fact that it died though) It looks like it should be in an office like one of those motivational posters that say "Hang in there"

• Like 1

I looked over at him and he had his eyes closed saying a prayer!

This part made me smile! Awesome story and experience. Good Job Justin!

• Like 1

Congrats to your son! The look on his face is priceless. That pic of the owl stuck in the grille is pretty crazy!

Great story! What a great Dad giving his tag to his son. I loved the prayer part as well. The look on his face says everything. Congrats to the both of you!

Congrats again on a memorable hunt!! He will remember that hunt forever! Wish I could have been there to see you grinning from ear to ear! Nice job! What a great dad! Congrats Braeden!

You both killed a deer in the exact same spot this year within feet of each other.

Would a great story! Congrats to the both of your on a great hunt! Print and frame a picture. Also. Save your write-up with pics in a word or pdf doc for future reference.

• Like 1

Awesome! Congratulations to your son! Great use of a tag....love it.

That smile ear to ear say's it all Congrats on your buck, way to go Dad!