Sign in to follow this  
mklong40

Down to the Wire Buck

Had some good friends, several members on here, help on a long week of hunting. We left last Wed and through Sunday did not see any real activity. The heat was terrible. Deer activity low. I had to come back to work Monday and Tuesday. I was able to leave yesterday about 11. I was in my glassing area by 2 and the wind was horrific. I knew I had to be in the wind in order to find the deer on the opposite ridges out of the wind. It was not long and I started glassing bedded deer. Most were doe until something caught my eye at 650 yards. It looked to be a mature buck. He was bedded facing the other direction. I waited until about 5 and made my move. I was able to close the distance and swing around on him getting him to broadside. I am not a big fan of shooting at a bedded buck however, I was losing light and with the wind, I did no think he was getting up. I ranged the buck and settled in for the shot. I waited for about 5 min for the slightest drop in wind and when it came, I touched the trigger. The rapport of the hit was unmistakable except for the fact the buck stood up. I knew he was hit hard based on his body reaction. I put another round down range and then proceeded to watch the buck walk about 20 yards and bed down. I made the hard decision to leave him for the night. I didn't sleep a lick last night. I was up at 330 and back down in my spot as the sun rose. I glassed the area and headed in. I found him dead 15 yards from where I put him to sleep. My first shot was a double lung shot and my second was liver. I have no idea how that deer took two 175gr partitions and didn't die infront of me. I had a buddy with me this morning and I owe a lot of credit to him. We packed him out and I was back to Tucson by 11. Good Luck to everyone.

post-5969-0-22580100-1383266273_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Nice shooting - and great looking buck. He looks pretty heavy around the bases. Great job - looks like hard work and persistence paid off.

Sweet buck! Congrats!

Very nice deer. Real nice mass. Too bad about the heat and wind. That is early season hunting around here for you.

That is a great looking deer. Congrats.

Great job! all I need is the same come December archery.

I don't know bro...second year in a row we bust tail all week and the day after I leave you get your deer. Either you got these things chained to a tree somewhere or I'm just bad luck!

Congrats on a nice deer! How about next year we hit the "back up" spots first!