Sign in to follow this  
AZBearhunter

Sleeping Lions

No wonder you ain't seeing any deer. Sweet pics!

Actually, I have found through the years that the areas were I have found the most lions are the areas with the most deer. The lions are there for a reason, and that reason is food. If there wasn't enough food, they would move on.

Hmmmmmmmmm

Awesome pictures, how many different lions do you have frequenting this spot?

I counted somewhere around 5 lions that were coming in to this spot and an occasional Tom. It doesn't sound like a lot, however, within a 1 mile radius it is a lot. I had other locations with an equal amount of activity and many larger Toms passing through due to the amount of females hanging around.

And where in 6A is this? LOL

I counted somewhere around 5 lions that were coming in to this spot and an occasional Tom. It doesn't sound like a lot, however, within a 1 mile radius it is a lot. I had other locations with an equal amount of activity and many larger Toms passing through due to the amount of females hanging around.

HAHA, I will tell you this, these lion are no where near 6A, try about 250 miles southeast.

pic #2 is a nice tom, great photos thanks for sharing

HAHA, I will tell you this, these lion are no where near 6A, try about 250 miles southeast.

I just said that because a couple of years ago I was scouting for Elk in 6A and ran into a couple of guides during the archery hunt who told me that they had seen two sets of different cats in the area over the last few days and I glassed up a female about a mile from where we talked.

Didn't know lions rested or slept...thought they killed or ate deer 24/7!

Muleskinner, have you ever been around a house cat? They act very similarly to mt. lions except for the fact that house cats don't hunt there food down. Most felines are mostly nocturnal and will spend most of there day time hours sleeping and resting. All animals have to rest and sleep at some point.

great pics AZ.. growing up with domestic cats since I was a lil kid, I can see similarities in the postures of these big deer killers.. I wonder what it takes for a California hunter to get a Arizona lion tag?

great pics AZ.. growing up with domestic cats since I was a lil kid, I can see similarities in the postures of these big deer killers.. I wonder what it takes for a California hunter to get a Arizona lion tag?

All you need is an out of state (non-resident) license which is $151.25 and your over the counter lion tag with is $225. These prices are only for 2013. Prices are going to change in 2014. The non-resident license cost has not been specified for 2014, but I doubt it will increase much given that the cost of a resident license will go up by $4.75 for 2014. The interesting thing is that the cost of an non-resident over the counter lion tag for 2014 with only be $75. If you want to hunt Mountain lion in AZ and want a reference for a dry hound outfitter, shot me an inbox, I know the best outfitter in the Southwest and you will get yourself a really nice Lion. Hunter success in 100%. Other then hunting with hounds, the chances of harvesting a lion are slim depending on your hunting methods.

Down right awesome! Thanks for sharing.