Sign in to follow this  
Rifle2Bow

Poacher Ruined my hunt - still upset

He may have come back for the deer after you left. That many beers while holding a gun isn't safe either.

Call it in. This kind of Crap has to stop.

Sorry your hunt was ruined but very glad no harm came to you. What a sad situation.

Rifle2Bow,

Report him, its the best thing you can do. I live and hunt in 34A, I consider it my second home. I do not want this type of crap in my unit or in any other unit.I pick up beer cans and trash all the time. We talk about illegals leaving water bottles and trash, I find more beer cans then anything in this unit! Very disappointed in these types of people, they are not sportsmen, nor true hunters. I'm glad you didn't have an issue with this jerk, and that you are safe.

I'd have to check but you might be breaking the law by not reporting it. Just like witnessing any other crime, if you don't report, it makes you an accessory. Don't think g&f doesn't watch these boards. You want to lose your hunting privileges for that idiot? Lol, don't think someone from here isn't already reporting you for not reporting what you saw.

• Like 1

I'd have to check but you might be breaking the law by not reporting it. Just like witnessing any other crime, if you don't report, it makes you an accessory. Don't think g&f doesn't watch these boards. You want to lose your hunting privileges for that idiot? Lol, don't think someone from here isn't already reporting you for not reporting what you saw.

Your probably right, report him. There were only so many guys in there on that hunt with tags. Plus this is across the street from my house.

So I had a tag for 34a but couldn't hunt the opening because my sister got married last weekend but by Sunday I had drove down ASAP and set up over water honey hole. I figured a buck or two woulda have been taken over the weekend but hey I was just excited to be out there hunting. So Sunday evening getting there I notice there is a lot of hunting pressure and many of the campsites were being utilized by fellow hunters, some had taken spikes, small bucks and I was super excited to get to my spot after conversing w other hunters. Well, this is when it goes to shittt! I get to my spot for the evening hunt setup and after 3 hours and seeing doe after doe and fawn after fawn it started getting dark when all of a sudden I see a nice 3x3 that I start ranging (I'm hunting w my bow) but I'm waiting for him to clear some brush for a shot when all of a sudden I hear BANG right behind me and scares my buck away. At first I'm thinking someone was taking a shot and missed the same buck but that wasn't the case. I come outside my blind to notice another 'hunter' about 100 ft running away from where I was and thinking he took a shot on another buck in the area. That wasn't the case. Then I hear some ruffling behind some brush close to where I had come out of my blind and can see the silhouette of a deer so I draw my bow just in case I see antlers to my disbelief I don't and then I see the 'hunter' come up right behind the deer and catch a glimpse of me and get spooked realizing that he had just been caught in the act shooting on a doe. The deer was blasted in the hind legs and could barely move. Upon seeing me and being scared out of his wickets he asked if I was a game and fish warden and said he "totally thought it was a buck". Yea right man especially after I said I wasn't and told him to put it out of its misery did he acknowledge that it was his last night and he had to get something and to boot he looked wasted. It was a situation where the safety on my pistol was definitely off since he was probing questions that made me start to question what his intentions were and who I was that I was on the defensive now and just told him to get outta here and that I didn't see anything. My predicament was that I had just gotten there and was going to hunt that area till the close of my tag and I'm wondering about my safety in this spot over the next few days. I didn't say anything to game and fish about this piece of shoot poacher for that reason. To add to the hostility of the poacher in question, when he was packing his gear to no surprise he offered me a beer and left his trash, another 8 beer cans where he was sitting. Anyone had a situation like this and what have you done? To say the least it ruined my one week I look forward to every year and can only compare it to a time I had my car stereo stolen.

then why you telling us about it?

• Like 2

Yeah, I think you probably should have waited until he left and then turned him in... I understand it was a dangerous situation at the point where you confronted him, but immediately afterwards instead of posting it here online you should have called the GAME THIEF hotline. He broke the law, and just because you're scared you helped him cover it up. I am reminded of a famous quote: All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing...

Thanks guys for the feedback. I filed a report with G&F and they are looking into it. Its unfortunate and with regards to you trophyhunter if you notice at the bottom of my entry I was looking for advice on a plan of action and to see what, if any experiences of the same kind, of my fellow sportsmen have had. That is the reason we have this message board is it not? to share experiences, stories, learn from etc. With that said, moving forward, if you dont have any input aside from a sarcastic "then why you telling us about it?" then please just keep it to yourself. I was looking for feedback not sarcasm?

Well, off to Texas in two weeks for Hogs and Whitetails. Thanks again everyone!

• Like 1

Good job reporting it... and thank you! I know it would eat me alive knowing that I didn't do anything.

Thanks for reporting it!

+1

If this ever happens to anyone remember the beer cans would have had his finger prints all over them.

TJ

Thanks for reporting it!