Sign in to follow this  
DeerHunter3x3

The One That Got Away

Who here has had a HUGE fish on your line and it breaks? I definitely have. I was fishing on a local pond, and I had a worm on. I was roaming the bank and cast my line next to these reeds, and a HUGE fish takes it. I had a 10+lbs bass on with a 10lbs test, and it snapped the line. The fish was HUGE. Tell me your One That Got Away stories.

Had one a bunch of years ago... Couldn't tell you how big he was but he looked like a 2' long football.We had just got to the lake and my dad was doing what ever grown ups do when you get to the lake (I was a kid). Threw out a purple lizard, bass hammered it, I set the hook... He jumped, my dad saw it and went bananas, he then threw the lizard. I was crushed!

A few big ones have gotten away from me. One came on a stormy day. Every cast was producing a fish on topwater, all 2lb clones. Then, a huge swirl wrapped around the zara spook and a long fight ensued. When the fish was close to being finished, it made one last surge and straightened the treble hook. All I ever saw of the fish in the dark water was his massive tail as it turned at the boat for one more run. I have never seen a tail fin that big! At the time I was totally bummed, but years later I realized that knowing the big one was still out there is what has kept me going back.

My dad and i were fishing Big Lake years ago. We were catching pretty good sized rainbows and cutts- 16-18". Then I had one hammer my line, hit it like a freight train! Many long runs later I was dragging him ashore and the line broke!

I couldn't believe it, I was crushed. This fish was 23" long! I was standing there swearing like a filthy mouthed trucker and my dad says, "Hey is that your sinker there in the water?" HOLY S!!T IT IS!! Just as we saw this the sinker started to move toward open water. I jumped out into the lake onto the sinker, jammed my hands into the mud and rocks, FOUND THE LINE!! and pulled him in BARE HANDED!! We couldn't believe it and the few people around us were wondering what all the commotion was about, til they saw the size of that trout! That will forever be my best fishing story with my dad. The one that almost got away!

• Like 3

It's much more fun when you don't lose em ;)

Johnnie Blaze - For a second I thought you were Chipper Jones! I had to do a double take.

I was using 50lbs line in the lower Colorado. Had a big ol chunk of mackerel on the line. Pole was in my hand and felt the bites. When I set the hook it went up river against my drag cranked as far down as I could. It spooled me before I could pull anchor and chase it.......

Last year I lost a 8lb + Large mouth bass at one of the urban lakes. I had spotted him swimming around about 10 feet from shore and pitched a worm to him a few times but he didn't even bat an eye. After about the fifth cast I got snagged on some rocks half way between me and the fish. I was snagged bad and I could feel my line was about to snap so I started thrashing my pole back and forth out of frustration. Well that drove this bass absolutely nuts. He hit my worm so hard he toppled the rocks and freed my line. I set that hook and he started going airborn. I never had a bass jump that much but I managed to keep him on the line and get him to shore. Just as I reached down to lip him, he started thrashing again and spit the hook.

I barely got to lay a finger on him, but he would have been my largest LMB and out of an urban lake no less.

At Luna lake when I was about 9. I was to busy trying to catch chipmunks in the rocks and had my pole drug in the water and lost. We saw it bubbling about 50 feet from the dang. My dad was pissed that I wasn't paying attention haha!! My pole was weighed down with about 20 pounds of rocks.

I was fly fishing for Salmon on the Trask river with a buddy. We waded across some really fast moving water to get to the beds. On the third cast this GIANT hit it. The battle was on. We had a stalemate for about 15 minutes. I asked my buddy what to do. He said cross back over the fast water to work him downstream or hold on. About that time the Darn hook straightened out and came right back at me!!!!! I'm gonna get that SOB some day!

• Like 1

I was fishing for Speckled Trout in the marsh behind Grand Isle Lousiana and decided to tie on a hot pink She Dog. When it hit the water it immediately launched back up into the air. I never saw what it was as I had 8# test mono on a Browning Bait Caster and the drag was too tight.

The fish in my avatar was a similar story and I fought it for about 20 minutes before I even saw what it was. I released it after a few pics.

Before switching to a tactic that wouldn't allow it, I had lost an absolute monster Walleye here in AZ that I'd been fighting for about 20 minutes, went to go grab it in the gills and snap goes the 12lb. line with my hand less than a foot away..

I was absolutely broken until I switched up the presentation a few minutes later and kept casting. I was lucky enough to land a couple that only took about 5 minutes each to bring in.. I still wonder how big the original eye was...

post-3844-0-67462300-1384355733.jpg

Left:11lb 4oz ------- Right: 12lb 8oz

• Like 2

fishing for halibut one day in AK, hauled a huge halibut up to the boat (approx 100 lbs) after 2 good runs back down to the bottom, shot it once and back down to the bottom. hauled it back up again and shot it the 2nd time to close to the mouth and the hook pulled out. WHAT?!?!?! we had a harpoon with us and made the mistake of not using it before we shot it. was a bummer. totally suxed. was the biggest fish I ever hooked.

At Luna lake when I was about 9. I was to busy trying to catch chipmunks in the rocks and had my pole drug in the water and lost. We saw it bubbling about 50 feet from the dang. My dad was pissed that I wasn't paying attention haha!! My pole was weighed down with about 20 pounds of rocks.

fishing for king salmon in AK one morning, my dad set his pole down to do something with the boat motor and you guessed it, he either hooked a fish or a snag on the bottom and his rod and reel went over before he could grab it. expensive lesson. glad it was him and not me.

fishing for king salmon in AK one afternoon, my uncle hooked a huge king. beautiful fish. it had been in fresh water for a few days and had started to turn color. huge male (approx 45 lbs) thats snout had started to hook. my uncle fought it for 10 - 15 minutes when it jumped clear out of the water and spit the hook out. I will never forget seeing that happen. we were all seriously bummed.