Sign in to follow this  
jarheadhunter

WY Double

Went to visit some family and my old stomping grounds in WY over the 1-3 of Nov. and we went out and did a little calling. Our first stand was about 30-45 min after light. We set up over looking a nice valley that had quake and pines in it and a sage flat. Sun was at our back and has a slight cross wind. I take my CS-24 out about 20 yds and go to start the first sequence. Nothing happens. I was thinking my batteries might be dead, but I had just charged them the night before. So I try and mess around with the mute and other buttons and nothing happens.

So I say screw it and pull out my Rubber Rabbit call from Kerry Carver. I learned a long time ago never go out to a stand with just your e caller and no mouth calls. I start whaling away on the rubber rabbit. After about 10 min and my 6-7th sequence I see a magpie fly over the hill to our left about 800 yds out. I always watch birds and where they come from. Not even 1 min later I see a flash of white coming through the sage. Then I see another. I tell my step dad and get his eyes on them. We were both facing about 30 deg off from where they were going to come in. I tell him as soon as they dropped behind a little hill about 150 yds out to swing on them. They drop out of sight and we swing to where they will come over the hill. I tell him he can shoot the first one and he said ok I will shoot the one on the left. He had a 22-250 and I had my AR15. I knew I could get a running coyote easier then he could. They come up over the hill about 100 yds out and come straight at us. I had the call in my mouth just lightly blowing on it. When the get to about 70 yds and are about to start coming up the hill we are setting on my step dad fires and smokes the Big Male on the left. At the shot the female takes off hard right and I swing on her and shoot once and hit right behind her. I give a little more lead and drop her on the second shot.

Great way to start off the day. We ended up calling 4 more stands with no luck and then we got stuck and wasted the rest of the day. Oh well I will take one double any day.

post-9509-0-60387100-1384267757_thumb.jpg

• Like 1