elkocd

2014 Late Rifle 23,27,22S, or 10

I’ve been lurking on here for a while reading all the great stories about AZ elk hunting, all the while building points to one day hunt down there. Next year it’s time. I’ve decided to jump in for a late season rifle tag even though I’ve been an archery only elk hunter for about 12 years. I just love hunting, rifle or bow so I’m excited to pick up the gun and spend some time down south in the early winter. A little about how I hunt. I consider myself a pretty hardcore back pack type hunter. I hunt the rugged river breaks here in OR, and the high mts of Western WY every year. In WY we backpack in 3-6 miles and camp for 1-2 weeks. So rugged and off the beaten path does not concern me. I prefer to get away and get away from the crowds. The hunts I am consider are 23, 27, 22 south and 10. I would say 1, but I think I need a couple more points to be guaranteed 1. I would love to hear some of your thoughts. PMs would be great if you don’t want to post specific unit info. I understand. I would be very happy to share info about OR and WY if anyone is interested.

Based on my limited knowledge here is why I am consider these units and the concerns I have for each:

23: Good bulls, not too many tags, good access. My concern is I could not get away from the crowds as much as I would like.

27: Good bulls, can get away from the people if you are willing to do the work. Concern, lots of tags maybe not as good of bulls.

22South: Very few tags, good access, high success rates, could most likely have some solitude away from hunting pressure. Concerned about finding a good bull.

10: Don’t know enough about this one, but it sounds like there are good bulls, good glassing etc.. Concerned about lots of tags, access and getting away from people.

Thanks

Rick

looks like you have it narrowed down... now time to choose! LOL!

you have obviously done research... now it's just all about what you want out of your hunt.

everyone has there opinions on where and why.... I would not hunt in 10 because I may kill misses or under pressure or even video.

way too many nightmare stories from there! I like to have a good time huntin... not stressed fighting with other hunters/guides!

James

All those units hold huge bulls. They key here is glassing. Plenty of country in 23 to get away from the crowds. Late season hunts in AZ can be tough for killing a big bull. Bull don't typically migrate like they do in WY. Winters in AZ aren't cold enough, long enough to keep them up and feeding constantly to survive. The big boys just find thick cover and bed from sun up to sun down. Plus with the ridiculously high bull to cow ratio, there are a lot of busted racks. Especially on the mature bulls that you want.

This is the best backcountry unit. Its steep and deep. Lots of water holes, springs, seeps. You'll see people on horesback but theres plenty of animals for everyone. Blue wilderness.

i drew 22s this year, but i can't imagine not being able to get away from the crowds in 23. It's a big place.

A lot of it would depend on weather. It sure would bite to spend all your points on a late rifle tag only to be limited in what you can do due to high snowpack etc. Granted, its been a while since a late rifle bull hunt has been in trouble due to weather, however it can happen.

Having said that, it can also be so dang warm you might have to consider spoilage if you kill a bull several miles in and you are the only source of getting your meat out.

It appears that 22 south has minimal tags, however I feel that 60 tags for this unit and hunt is overkill due to the huntable places that exist in the unit. There's places to get away and you can kill a very good bull by doing so but don't think you will be in there alone with the tag increase.

If I had to choose, if I were in your shoes, I would put 23 first and 22 south second due to the lower elevation. Just my opinion.