Sign in to follow this  
couesdeerhntr

What do you guys think about scent control

Just wanted to hear some feedback about what u guys think about scent control from special scent control cloths to washing clothes in scent eliminator and scent eliminator sprays. I use to be all about them but over my years of hunting to me it seems like a big waste of money.i use to wash clothes and keep in special bag to store and use the soap and shampoo and all types of scent control and even spent 100's of dollars on the carbon camo but to me it seems like if u dont have the wind right they are goin to smell you no matter what. I know it probably helps but is it really worth the money? For example i just went on an elk hint with buddy and the mesquitos were horrible so we had to spray down with some stong smelling bug spray and we def didnt shower but we had wind right and had elk at less than five yards. So why spend the money? Just wanted to see what you guys think?

Thats what i think but figured i would see what People think cuz i think i am sticking to the walmart special for camo. I go thru so much camo from all the things that will grab you while you are walking in arizona it just isnt worth it just in that aspect

Those products do work, but it all depends on whether or not the animals are conditioned to human pressure or not. I will agree that you dont need it if you get the wind right... But there have been lots of times I've been sitting against a tree and had deer come up to me straight downwind and never bat an eye. But there's also times when I don't spray down, shower, or wear Scent Lok and a coyote comes in from hundreds of yards away straight downwind of me calling and doesn't figure out that I'm there until it's in easy shotgun range... I use Sport Wash to launder my hunting clothes, for two reasons. One, it really cleans them well and rinses completely without damage the waterproof and wicking material, and two- because it does not have UV brighteners and I do believe certain animals can see within that spectrum.

• Like 1

Study the wind, just wash clothes without soap and keep them away from odor, hang clothes up in a juniper tree... and try not to fart lol

• Like 1

Take this for what it is worth (may not be much). I've always worn scent eliminating clothing for Midwest white tails, mostly because that used to be the only quality clothing I could find for hunting. Many times, if the deer got downwind it was over. However, I recently upgraded scent clothing, even going a step further with high quality scent eliminating base layers. We do the whole scent free shower twice a day too, but this year I have never had so many deer downwind and not bust me. Had a decent buck and doe bed behind me one morning at 25 yards, they could not have been more down wind. They stayed and slept for 3 hours, it was actually annoying after a while. I've always said its a matter of what is a mature game animal worth to someone, everyone will have a different take on that question. To me, killing a giant with my bow is almost priceless, if the scent control stuff helps just minutely, enough to keep that buck there just long enough, then it's worth it in my opinion. I know the stuff doesn't hurt my chances.

• Like 2

One of my main concerns regarding scent is what you leave in the woods after you go back to camp. Animal comes into an area when you aren't there and can still smell you? Not good in my opinion. How many times do we go in and out of hunting spots in a season? A lot right? So if there is anything out there that can help me out with that, I am all about it. When you sit up against a tree, you are leaving scent on that tree. In this case, the wind is not the factor. When you walk through an area, you are leaving scent. I will douse the bottom of my boots in scent away for this reason. It might not 100% eliminate everything, but like Dub Tee said, it can't hurt my chances. This season, I was REALLY conscious of this stuff. I saw more deer and bucks for that matter in close quarters than I ever have.

I have a friend who drew a trophy archery bull tag in 10 a few years ago, he went to extremes with scent control. He went as far as going on a vegan diet 6 weeks before his hunt then switched to a vegetarian diet 3 weeks before his hunt. Shaved off all his hair except his eye brows. His wife said when he would bust butt it didn't even stink (I never found out) lol. He used sent spray ..... The whole bit. He ended up killing a 380 bull at 20 yards.

If I am rifle hunting I don't care how I smell as long as the guys hunting with me can. I just watch the wind. But when it comes to archery, I wash my clothes in all the fancy stuff and shower with the scent free soap. Even if it is only psychological that is good with me. My base layers are what I think helps more than anything. If you can get any moisture away from you so that it dries and doesn't smell it is an advantage. Just my 2 cents worth.

You can fool everything but their nose. If the wind isn't in your favor it doesn't matter what you use. Only thing I do is wash my clothes in scent killer. Check the wind!

I use the wash for clothes and scent free soap for showers.. I own a couple of scent lock outfits... actually very comfortable and quiet!

I also try to spray down each time I go into the set. If it gives me even a 5% better chance it's worth it. I don't think you can ever get all the scent off but if I can get a little advantage I'll take it. I'm not as anal as some peaple (6Anut) LOL... I have had elk and deer very close and not spook down wind and I've also had them hit my scent and fly outta there like hussain bolt! LOL! even if it helps your confidence it's worth it to me. I can't afford the scent lock clothes for all my outfits but like I said they are comfortable!

as far as coyotes goes if they come in downwind and don't spook they are young and dumb!

James

• Like 2