phillyphan

What rifle are your kids shooting???

/>If he has good shot placement the 243 will be more than enough to take down a Bull Elk. My family has taken several over the years. My Niece has taken them out to 250.

What scope is she using and is she using a youth stock? We've been practicing for a couple of months now and he's just getting good at 100 yards, but I think he's struggling with his scope so we have to keep it at the lowest power setting.

/> If he has good shot placement the 243 will be more than enough to take down a Bull Elk. My family has taken several over the years. My Niece has taken them out to 250.

What scope is she using and is she using a youth stock? We've been practicing for a couple of months now and he's just getting good at 100 yards, but I think he's struggling with his scope so we have to keep it at the lowest power setting.

I think she has a Vx 3 3x9 and a youth stock. Have him sit in the house with the sliding door open and pick out an object in the distance and practice acquiring it at low power, as he gets better at it then increase the magnification in his scope. That is what I used to do.

/>

/> If he has good shot placement the 243 will be more than enough to take down a Bull Elk. My family has taken several over the years. My Niece has taken them out to 250.

I think she has a Vx 3 3x9 and a youth stock. Have him sit in the house with the sliding door open and pick out an object in the distance and practice acquiring it at low power, as he gets better at it then increase the magnification in his scope. That is what I used to do.

I've been reading all over the internet trying to figure out what might be wrong and I think I just figured it out. It seemed as though he couldn't get close enough to the scope at the higher power to see the full view and I was just reading about length of pull. I measured him and he

Is length of pull is around 12". His .243 is over 14 1/2". Measured my girlfriends .270 and it's right on at 13 1/2". I think after his hunt next weekend I'll be cutting off a couple of inches from the stock which should put him around a youth stock length. Then I'll get him a new scope to work with. There's been enough responses to give me confidence that he can drop a bull elk with his .243 if he can get better shot placement as he grows.

/>

I've been reading all over the internet trying to figure out what might be wrong and I think I just figured it out. It seemed as though he couldn't get close enough to the scope at the higher power to see the full view and I was just reading about length of pull. I measured him and he

Is length of pull is around 12". His .243 is over 14 1/2". Measured my girlfriends .270 and it's right on at 13 1/2". I think after his hunt next weekend I'll be cutting off a couple of inches from the stock which should put him around a youth stock length. Then I'll get him a new scope to work with. There's been enough responses to give me confidence that he can drop a bull elk with his .243 if he can get better shot placement as he grows.

Yes the 243 topic with respect to Elk has been talked about several times here on CWT. I have every confidence in the caliber. I would make sure the shot that he takes is with a calm and collected demeanor. TAKE YOUR TIME!!! He will get it done.... Good luck!

My 11 year old boy (still pretty small), shoots a weatherby vanguard .270, 150 gr. Berger VLD. Standard stock length. Just killed a cow elk with it yesterday at 300 yards.

Here it is

.250 Savage

Remington 700 action

24" fluted w/taget crown Douglas barrel

1-10" twist

MPI ultralight stock cut to fit her (11" LOP)

Glass bedded-free floated

Leupold Vari-X3 3.5-10

I love to shoot it!! LOL

It is a tack driver.

----Unit 1 youth cow hunt this year

115 Barnes X--150 yards--1 shot

Hopefully I'll be posting pictures of my daughters

with this gun and a couple whitetail bucks in a couple weeks ^_^

Jeff

post-2466-0-23254200-1384641425_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Phillyphan,

Cutting the stock to fit is a good idea (keep the cut piece for the future)

In my opinion fitting the gun comfortably is crucial for a good shot.

Bullet constrction and shot placement are equally important.

This is the 2nd cow my daughter has wacked with this gun.

She is extremely sensitive to recoil so I looked at recoil charts

between 243, 7mm-08 and .250 Savage and 250 Savage had them beat.

I am not knocking those calibers but simply went with the savage becasue of the milder recoil.

I never had a problem finding factory ammo or brass for the savage either which initailly had me worried.

I also load IMR SR 4759 (reduced load powder) with 87 grain bullets for range practice (recoil is equal to a 22 mag!)

and a regular handload for hunting.

I also love the Leupold becasue of the long eye relief.

Bottom line, I love the gun. :rolleyes:

Jeff

My son sits at 90 Pounds with a small frame and he shoots my browning 3006 with a muzzle break with no problems. This bullet can go fromm 55 grain for javelina and only needs 150 grain for elk plus the shells are not hard to find in most stores. The scope really helps him get out and knock down the whitetail when he has too also. I am a fan for a 243 but for long distance the 3006 has the advantage.

Had a 243 mauser 98 rebuilt for daughter this year. You can see it in the story her in this section. Also she has killed with her moms 308 sako 165gr sierras, which has killed a couple other deer with kids behind it. working on building up a 25-06 ruger 77 now for elk and deer.

I just bought my son Zack (7 years old) a Remington 700 SPS AAC-SD tactical. I have already put a custom trigger, HS precision stock, PEC customs brake, us optics 20 moa base, nightforce rings, topped with a Vortex 4-16x50 PST EBR1 MOA. I want to get a Valdada like I have on my .308 but need to save a little. As long as I dial the turrets he can hit out to 450 yards. Hopefully by the time he is 10 he will be able to hit out to 600. My next buy will be the Savage Long Range 6.5-284 with a Valdada.

My little brother has a Winchester 670a in .243 but he has never hunted with it... He has always used my .257 wby.

I do not know why, but the 257 wby seems to often get over looked. The gun does NOT have much recoil and kills far beyond what it "should" being just a .257 caliber rifle.