Sign in to follow this  
Heat

Recommend a Shotgun

The boy is getting into the Scholastic Clay Target program and loves to hunt doves. He has graduated from his Mossberg 500 and wants a new gun for Christmas. We are thinking of getting him some type of semi-auto or over/under. He's just a beginner but is showing lots of promise so I don't want him handicapped by the gun. He shot a Browning BT-99 at the Club very well (20/25 first time with that gun, 3rd time on the range). I am thinking of a few guns like the Beretta A300 Outlander, the Weatherby SA-08, or maybe a CZ Redhead or Canvasback. The kid is huge and has been shooting a 12 gauge for a couple of years so no youth models or 20 gauges please. Does anyone have any other recommendations or ideas? Budget of $500 to around $750. Also would consider a used gun in excellent condition if there is something out there.

Thanks everybody!

Plan to spend close to $1,000 for a good used gun. Even though I've been shooting shotguns for 50 years, I recently learned a few things after Tucson's new trap and skeet range opened and I've been in the company of some good shotgun men.

The gun that serves you well for hunting quail and doves will not hold up well under the punishment it gets in competitive trap and skeet shooting. Recoil and the constant opening and closing of a breech gun will wear out parts and crack stocks on the average hunting gun long before you see the same kinds of problems with a modern shotgun that was made for range competition. If you buy an O/U Beretta, Browning, etc. that costs $1500 or more new you're getting stronger steel and better fitting of parts. You'll need that in a gun that shoots thousands of rounds in a single year.

Of course, any problem that develops on an 870 or a Turkish/Spanish/Russian O/U selling for under $600 can be repaired by a gunsmith, but you'll be seeing the gunsmith sooner and more often with one of those. And it costs just as much to fix a cheap gun as an expensive one. Better to spend the money up front and keep your ownership costs down.

If a new quality gun stretches your budget too much, go for a used one with a few scratches. That will save you hundreds of dollars.

Heat,

You didn't say whether he'd be shooting trap or skeet. I'm assuming both at least initially. You can make one gun work for both, but not real well. If it has to be one gun, look for an SKB with 28 inch barrels and choke tubes. You might be able to get that done within your price range if you can put up with some dings and scratches. If LOP is a little long you can remove the recoil pad and have him wear a Past shield until he grows into the stock.

Thanks for the sound advice Larry. He's going to shoot trap at a fun shoot next week, but who knows, he may get more into skeet later. Trap will probably be his focus for awhile. Something versatile is probably a really good thing right now. I'm not familiar with SKB, so I guess I have some research cut out for me.

An SKB would be a fantastic choice. I have an old Ithaca/SKB 500 in 20ga. and it is awesome.

I have a Berretta Whitewing O/U 12 ga. the same one many competitive shooters use, the one they don't make any more. I couldn't take less than $850.00 Gun is in great shape, a couple of minor scratches but very low round count. PM me if you have any interest.

Of all the unconventional makes ( besides Beretta, Benelli, Franchi etc...) consider the Turkish rifles. Better quality for the money.

AHB

I have an SA-08 in a 12 gauge. I like it but would part ways for a reasonable price. Bought it new 3 years ago, about 4 boxes through it total.

I killed at least 1500 doves and maybe 350 quail maybe 50 ducks and at least 3 turkeys,with my Mossberg 500, why does he need to graduate?

If he can shoot the gun doesn't make much of a difference,but a 870 looks pretty but doesn't shoot any better.

Seldom Drawn

Seldom Drawn,

I appreciate your opinion and I agree with you if the kid was only going to hunt. I also should have mentioned that this was a 24" gun that was less than ideal for shooting trap which is what he is concentrating on for now, but he is learning to shoot skeet also. I have yet to see anybody who shoots a pump gun equal to an over/under or an auto on the skeet range. It really doesn't exist in serious competition. That is where I was going with the comment about the 500.

I also should have mentioned that we have 3 other pump shotguns in the safe.

thanks,

Nick

If he shoots the BT99 well why not get him one of those? Are there any gunsmith/stock builders left out there any more who can fit a stock for eye alignment? I know there used to be some National Shoots up at Ben Avery around this time of year. Lots of world class shooters who are willing to help out a youngster. I wouldn't jump into it buying him a gun just to get him something for Christmas.

Good luck to you and your son in finding the right gun. Nothing wrong in shooting a 20ga. If he really gets into it he will want a K80 with tubes in 410. 28, 20 and 12 gauge. Then you need a Ponneses Warren.