Coues assassin

First time calling

So I tried my hand at predator calling for the first time yesterday with success in my eyes. Started off later in the day due to some work. Got out in the field around 2 and was sitting in our first spot I picked out a week earlier by 2:15. I recently purchased a fox pro (used) still cool to me and was eager to try it out. I sat up on the side of a hill in a blind I had built a week earlier with the fox pro in a thick bush about 60 yards away where two washes intersect. Looked like a good spot I could see pretty far out at almost all angels. After using the lighting jack call for about 10 minutes with no interest I switched to pup distress, after about 5 minutes of that we decided to call it quits on that spot. Went to my second spot at about 3 where again I had a blind set up this time it was not as open but I had seen coyotes there before on other hunts. So I set up the call this time about 30 yards because it was kind of thick and started off with the bay bee cottontail. I used that for about 15 minutes and once again switched to pup distress before leaving with no luck. My buddy and I hadn't seen a thing at this point but were still determined as ever. After 4 more spots with nothing to show we went to my last spot about 20 mins before the sun went down. Still hopeful we set up In a blind on a little hill where my visibility was about 100 yards to my right 100 to the left and 100 Infront of me. I put the call in a wash we could see at 50 yards and started with lighting jack, about 10 minutes later and i tell my buddy we will leave in 5 minutes its almost dark. Well I played the jack for 10 minutes at this point and once again not seeing anything I switched to pup distress. Within 30 seconds of playing pup distress a fox comes running full speed to my left at about 75 yards. It was a little thick so I was only able to see him for a few seconds until he disappeared. At this point we were stoked we finally saw something and hoped he was coming back. Another 5 minutes later no sight of him it gets dark and we call it a night. Although we didn't put one on the ground I feel successful I was able to see something coming In for my call. This was my first time ever calling and it won't be my last, we have another trip planned for Friday so hopefully I will have another report to follow.

So now I have a few questions. The fox pro loops the sound do I let it just do its thing or mute it every so often? It seemed annoying it just kept going. How long do you let it play and how long do u keep it quiet? Also the fox came in around me and never came back I'm assuming he went behind to wind the call before getting close and maybe he winded us? And finally most important what sounds do you use? I used jackrabbit because I have killed probably 15-20 jackrabbits in that area they are everywhere

I added this picture because a picture always rounds off a story, this is the view from atop a hill in 37a

post-11647-0-35488800-1384720443_thumb.jpg

Good move to use the Jack Rabbit call based on your sightings of them in the area. Rabbits have little lungs and won't scream continuously so call for 10 to 15 seconds then break for 5-10 seconds and repeat.

Good move to use the Jack Rabbit call based on your sightings of them in the area. Rabbits have little lungs and won't scream continuously so call for 10 to 15 seconds then break for 5-10 seconds and repeat.

Thank you I was doing like a minute on 5 seconds off, that might have been one of the problems

If you see a fox and he doesn't come in right away, switch to a fox distress sound and you will have him right in your lap. Carry a shotgun with you. Foxes come in fast and are quick.

Brian

If you see a fox and he doesn't come in right away, switch to a fox distress sound and you will have him right in your lap. Carry a shotgun with you. Foxes come in fast and are quick.

Brian

My fox pro has 2 fox sounds grey and red fox, may be a stupid question but which fox call would I use

/>

Brian

My fox pro has 2 fox sounds grey and red fox, may be a stupid question but which fox call would I use

Grey fox. But don't be afraid to use sounds that are not normally associated with animals in AZ. You would be surprised at what works good.

You can also download other grey fox sounds from fox pro. I don't go out without a full arsenal of fox sounds. They work just as good for coyote and bobcats.

Just to let you know, 99% of the animals I kill, I shoot with a shotgun. I haven't killed a predator with a rifle in about 5 years. I only set up where I can see 40 yards or less. I like to be up close and personal.

Brian

• Like 1

/>Interesting il have to try using a shotgun, what bullets do you use?

I reload my own shells. I reload a 2 3/4" hull with 1 5/8 oz of #4 copperplated shot. Basically it is your run of the mill turkey load. I like them. Most people use #4 buck shot for predators. I never have but from what I hear people get great results with the #4 buckshot.

Sounds like you are headed down the road of becoming addicted to calling. You won't regret it. :)

Brian

• Like 1

Yeah I'm getting into it, I put about 5-6 hours into building blinds in multiple spots today! Last question do you use a decoy or that feather shaking thing?

I have before but I haven't in a couple years. They work. Also you really don't have to build a blind. All you really need to do is sit with your back to a tree, rock or bush. Just something to break your outline up and you will be fine.

Brian.

So now I have a few questions. The fox pro loops the sound do I let it just do its thing or mute it every so often?

I have done it both ways and had success. Most of the time I only turn the volume up and down the only pause would be muting it to select a different call. Sometimes I will let the call play for 3-4 minutes and pause for 30 seconds. I personally don't think this matters all that much and it's up to what you want to do.

It seemed annoying it just kept going. How long do you let it play and how long do u keep it quiet?

Same as above

Also the fox came in around me and never came back I'm assuming he went behind to wind the call before getting close and maybe he winded us?

That would be my guess as well. For myself I never put the caller more then 25-30 yds away and most the time it's 10-20 yds.

And finally most important what sounds do you use?

My current favorites in no particular order are: Baybee cottontail, Cottontail Distress 1, DSG Cottontail and Waning Snowshoe.

I agree with the post above and don't be afraid to se a call even if they don't exist in the area your hunting. Try Waning snowshoe or one of the other snowshoe calls from FoxPro I bet you would be surprised.

id try going in the morning not 2pm, but they are opportunistic eaters

I've easily shot a few hundred over the years from first light to last light and everything in between.

I've easily shot a few hundred over the years from first light to last light and everything in between.

not me, i mostly stick to prime times and drink beer back at camp between 10 and 2

• Like 2

/>

not me, i mostly stick to prime times and drink beer back at camp between 10 and 2

Hahaha Classic!