post-2094-0-95885700-1384884409_thumb.jpg

I have the G7 and I will tell you it can do ALOT more than ANY RANGEFINDER ON THE MARKET. Here is a review:

First off I do not work for True Pulse G7 BR2, Laser Technology, or with any affiliates these findings are solely from my experience with trial and error and the G7 BR2 was bought with my own money.

First impressions are great and I tell you when I ordered the G7BR2 you get exactly what you paid for. With a price tag of 1699.00 I started to really research rangefinders. I have a nikon riflehunter 1000 and can usually get out to about 750 with it but wanted to be able to range further. I loved it because it has incline decline which for this topic we will call THD (True Horizontal Distance). With being able to range as far as I can I wanted the THD feature on whatever rangefinder I found. Now almost most of them have it BUT the catch is it will tell you true line of site with a degree of incline or decline. So I thought seriously why can't they make one that tells me THD instead of line of site with degree. while searching I found the G7 BR2 but man the price was way up there. So I started to research. This rangefinder has a built in ballistics program and will give you TRUE exact readings.
1st off you can enter into the profile select which consists of 6 1 for JUST pure ranging that give true line of site, THD, tempature, alltitude, baro pressure. Next 5 profiles is where you would enter in guns. You can store a 30-06, .308, 338 mag what ever you have. In my case I have a hunt coming up and have my dads gun saved, 2 buddies gun saved and 2 of my rifles saved. When it comes time for them to shoot just select the correct profile (which you can name anything) and it will in turn give me correct THD in moa calculating in baro pressure, temp, altitude.
2nd once you have chosen a profile to update you can edit the name of profile. Next you chose Moa, BDC, Or inch as a drop standard. Moa gives you a correction value so you can dial up lets say 500 yards is 10 moa. It would read 500 yards with 10 moa. You can also select BDC if you already have a BDC turret (BDC turret is one that is set yardage for your rifle from usually the manufacture of the scope). So BDC terms would be 500 yards is 5 on your bdc turret. With the BDC input you will additionally input turret altitude, and turret temperature and this is only for the BDC turret. Next selection is the G1 or G7 standard. Almost every boat tail pointy bullet is a g5, g7 standard but most manufactures of ammo only give a g1 standard. G1 standard is a flat base pointed tip bullet. Next you enter in your BC of your G1 or G7 standard. Then you input in your muzzle velocity, then sight height, then zero range.

*EXAMPLE*Now since you have your description (.308 Howa) with a MOA, G7, BC of .242, Muzzle velocity 2588, sight height of 2.00 (inch), zero range of 103 yards. You now can select if you want the range finder to continuously range, Range far targets (flat country), near targets. Now you press the range button with your .308 Howa (examp) selected it will give me a TRUE LINE OF SIGHT reading but here is the catch it will then calculate everything you imputed to the alltitude, temp, baro, incline/decline and shoot back a MOA number that appears about 2 seconds after the range is given. For example if I ranged a deer at 388 yards it would display 388 for 2 seconds then switch to 7.4 moa.
Now lets say you want to check all this with a ballistics program fine just press the mode button once then press the up down arrow to give you all the reading s like THD, temp, baro, altitude, ect now since you have everything that needs to be inputted into the ballistics program you can to check to see if everything is on.

Also included is the ability to dope wind with a wind meter. Just get your current reading 5, 10, 15 mph and once you have your MOA adjusted then press the down or up arrow and the reading from the range will be calculated into the wind so if you have a 5 mph wind with a range of 400 yards your reading should be 1 moa (.308 Howa).

The ballistics engine will work out to 1400 yards with the range finder able to range without ballistics to 2500 (I have actually had the ranging work out to 2500) which is unbelievable. The range finder has a great goretex outer shell that is very durable. You can also select 3 different crosshairs with the back light able to be adjusted bright or dim. For everything this rangefinder has to offer from just ranging to getting full ballistics with wind this rangefinder is a must for those that require a long distance shot or just seeing how far away that hill is so you can plan accordingly. The rangefinder also comes with the instructions, extra battery, neck strap, and a hard shell case. I was going to go with the leica but the only down side to that is the ballistics is not TRUE it is based off a ballistics curve so you pick the CLOSET one to your gun which is not reliable.

Please take the time to review the video I have attached to see this rangefinder in action and I know I do not explain stuff the best but this video will show you just what I mean. I can now say THAT THERE IS NO OTHER RANGEFINDER ON THE MARKET WITH THIS KIND OF CAPABILITIES. So the 1699.00 price tag is WELL worth the price if not more.

Here are all the videos:

I would love to have this rangefinder, but at $1600 It will have to wait. For the time being I use the shooter app with my Leica. It takes me longer to load all the data, but it still works almost the same. The only thing I am missing is the Bar, but it's the best I can do for now.

Thanks for the great review. I've been waiting to hear what people think about it. I wonder how long it will be until more companies come out with a similar design?

Adam

I would love to have this rangefinder, but at $1600 It will have to wait. For the time being I use the shooter app with my Leica. It takes me longer to load all the data, but it still works almost the same. The only thing I am missing is the Bar, but it's the best I can do for now.

Thanks for the great review. I've been waiting to hear what people think about it. I wonder how long it will be until more companies come out with a similar design?

Adam

I wish they all would. I don't mind doing the calculations and I still have to factor in spin drift anyways so I double check these reading on my Applied Ballistics app which in turn always comes back to the same reading as the rangefinder. If I had to make a quick shot I know I can with confidence. I really just wish the rangefinder manufactures would make all rangefinders with the incline decline feature which they do but do away with a degrees and give us straight up range. If Nikon and True Pulse can do it in their rangefinders everyone should be able too. Why make it harder and more difficult than it really is. :)

Adam

I wish they all would. I don't mind doing the calculations and I still have to factor in spin drift anyways so I double check these reading on my Applied Ballistics app which in turn always comes back to the same reading as the rangefinder. If I had to make a quick shot I know I can with confidence. I really just wish the rangefinder manufactures would make all rangefinders with the incline decline feature which they do but do away with a degrees and give us straight up range. If Nikon and True Pulse can do it in their rangefinders everyone should be able too. Why make it harder and more difficult than it really is. :)

How exactly do you factor in the wind... Do you input a wind speed and then and direction (value) or do your best guess on the amount of wind effecting the bullet.

This is not a big issue, but does the unit take into account coriolis effect... With my 300 RUM this can effect the flight up to 1/2 MOA (7") at 1,400 yards with a east or west shot.

With regards to the angle read out, the only way that they can do it accurately is if they give you the effective range run thru an accurate ballistic program such as the G7...Its not just the horizontal distance that effects where the bullet impacts, but also the time of flight or the overall resistance that the bullet receives during the flight.

Thanks for the review.

Adam

How exactly do you factor in the wind... Do you input a wind speed and then and direction (value) or do your best guess on the amount of wind effecting the bullet.

This is not a big issue, but does the unit take into account coriolis effect... With my 300 RUM this can effect the flight up to 1/2 MOA (7") at 1,400 yards with a east or west shot.

With regards to the angle read out, the only way that they can do it accurately is if they give you the effective range run thru an accurate ballistic program such as the G7...Its not just the horizontal distance that effects where the bullet impacts, but also the time of flight or the overall resistance that the bullet receives during the flight.

Thanks for the review.

Lets say I meter the wind at 5 mph then you just select the up down arrow to the correct 5 mph setting and with your distance ALREADY given (500 yards 10 moa) you will get 1.2 moa for wind. Wind is inputed to select 5, 10, 15,ect in the rangefinder you have to decide which direction but yes if you have just ranged a deer at 900 yards it will take that into effect for the 5, 10, what ever wind speed you select and give you a calculated correction. Coriolis effect and spin drift does play a part on shots at 1400 but at distances like that yes no stone should be unturned use your calculator in conjunction with this range finder. The Rangefinder only works out to 1400 with the ballistics but when I shoot 1200 or beyond I only use the rangefinder to range not the program in it. If you were hunting deer are you going to take a shot 1400 yards? EVEN if you did practice all the time and felt confident great go for it but for me I will be using this range finder out to 1000 and will only have to factor in spin drift which I already have memorized at that distance. This rangefinder being that it only does ballistics out to 1400 doe snot mean to use that info out to 1400. But for me to be able to range a mountain at 1900 yards and another mountain in between at 1200 yards then I will know when I get to 1200 yard point b for the shot it should be roughly 700 yards. I have in the past not been able to range a hill I wanted to get to thinking that if I get to point b I should only be 300 yards and come to find out I need another 800 yards to go and did not prepare for the entire trip I may have to go back.

Adam

Thanks for the review.

here maybe this will help

I've used my BR2 for the last 7 months and it is a great tool for longrange hunting out to 1400 yrds. There is not a faster way to get a ballistic solution to your shot.Range it ,dial it ,shoot!!(Know you wind and spin drift settings, of course) Has 4 backlight settings so you can range in almost all lighting conditions.We(me and my son) have used it from 500 out to 1325yrds with my 338 edge and the dope was on the money every time. I've cross checked the BR2 with Exball on my PDA and they are pretty much the same with the edge going to the BR2 because it calculates THD.and the time it saves when setting up the shot in hunting conditions.

I have had mine for over a year and I also love it... It really has done a great job and lived up to what you would expect for the cost... now it it was in a Bino configuration I would be set.

How exactly do you factor in the wind...

When calculating a shoot solution for wind the air density and correct shoot to distance must be factored in just like it does for trajectory.

The G7 BR2 collects altitude, barometric pressure and temperature to calculate (air density) combines that with your shoot to distance (adjacent distance) aka "shoot to distance"

It then lets you decide what the wind value is in 5mph increments by scrolling with the arrows on top. It will display the MOA adjustment but you have to be smart enough to know which way to hold. The values will be the same left or right. Then you get into the whole well what if the wind is at 10 MPH and blowing from 45 deg's.... (I'm trying to not drag this out but In a nut shell you have to have enough know how to cut the wind in half for this scenario.)

Some of you asked about spin drift and the BR2...

My .338 runs .61 MOA to right with my .250gr Bergers. (I doubt most will ever see more than .75 MOA) That's roughly 6.1" @ 1000yds. Spin drift is a constant. It will always be there and be really close to the same value all the time.

Since the BR2 will not calculate this I have decided to split this difference with my windage zero so at 1000 yds. I am now roughly 3" right instead of 6" right without adjustment.

Bottom like is "KNOW HOW" makes repeatable long range accuracy and will never be replaced by one tool. The BR2 just puts the shooters know how together allot quicker.

How exactly do you factor in the wind...

When calculating a shoot solution for wind the air density and correct shoot to distance must be factored in just like it does for trajectory.

The G7 BR2 collects altitude, barometric pressure and temperature to calculate (air density) combines that with your shoot to distance (adjacent distance) aka "shoot to distance"

It then lets you decide what the wind value is in 5mph increments by scrolling with the arrows on top. It will display the MOA adjustment but you have to be smart enough to know which way to hold. The values will be the same left or right. Then you get into the whole well what if the wind is at 10 MPH and blowing from 45 deg's.... (I'm trying to not drag this out but In a nut shell you have to have enough know how to cut the wind in half for this scenario.)

Some of you asked about spin drift and the BR2...

My .338 runs .61 MOA to right with my .250gr Bergers. (I doubt most will ever see more than .75 MOA) That's roughly 6.1" @ 1000yds. Spin drift is a constant. It will always be there and be really close to the same value all the time.

Since the BR2 will not calculate this I have decided to split this difference with my windage zero so at 1000 yds. I am now roughly 3" right instead of 6" right without adjustment.

Bottom like is "KNOW HOW" makes repeatable long range accuracy and will never be replaced by one tool. The BR2 just puts the shooters know how together allot quicker.

This video better describes how the air density plays a factor into your calculated wind hold and how the G7 BR2 works for this.

This video will explain spindrift and why I choose to "split the distance" with my windage zero.

• Like 1

Like SPEEDYGOSS said practice is the key here. Don't just practice when there is no wind you have to test yourself and your equipment in all types of conditions. So like lately it has been 20 mph winds everywhere and 20 mph winds would be the worst case scenario. I base it off of how many times can i hit the 12" plate at 1000 yards? If i can hit that plate under every condition 8 out of 10 times 80% then yes I could say I am confident that I can take that shot. I only have a 12" plate to shoot at because basically that is the size of a Coues. If I can't hit that plate then I have no chance of hitting a deer at the desired range. So know your limits and know when to say yes and no. Thanks for putting up these videos SPEEDYGOSS. here is a few more on how the rangefinder works.

• Like 1