Sign in to follow this  
jeremiah lindsey

calling in the rut

I've had good luck with the coues call from Modern Call Products, these guys are out of Buckeye. Never used it during archery, I go for mulies, but I have used it during rifle season and it stops all deer once, small bucks and does multiple times. I put the o-ring between the B & U on the reed.

Jeeze what a confusing website. Which call do you use?

I agree on the confusing web site. I see one coues call and it is simply called, Coues deer hands free. Is this the one you guys are using? or is there one called grunt model?

Thanks

Mark

It is not the web site that is confused, it is you. LOL

so let's here your technique of calling......

do you spot and call? meaning do you glass em up and stalk as close as possible then call em.......

do you blind call? meaning do you sit your stand or ground blind and call every so often.

do you try to mix in rattlin horns or doe bleats. By the way, if you never heard a fawn or doe bleat it is the coolest thing ever!

do you, have you used decoys on coues?

do you still try to call if they are pushing does?

any other methods???

James

• Like 1

Ive never had any luck with a grunt call, but i have had some success calling in couse bucks with rattling and estrus bleats.

I've had good luck with the coues call from Modern Call Products, these guys are out of Buckeye. Never used it during archery, I go for mulies, but I have used it during rifle season and it stops all deer once, small bucks and does multiple times. I put the o-ring between the B & U on the reed.

I tried this yesterday and today on two different 4-point coues. Every time I blew on the call, they stopped and turned and looked at me. They would have been tagged deer with a rifle at 50 and 120 yards.

I rattled in a coues spike yesterday to within 30 yrds. unfortunately my new years resolution a few years back was no more spikes :)

I have successfully grunted in a young buck and arrowed him. he had a messed up heavy 2 point on one side and a smallish 4 point on the other. I call him my 2 by 4 stud. :D He is my first and only Coue's. He was on a steep up hill side chasing a few does, I grunted and he broke away and headed right into me.

I have also grunted in other bucks but they were also young. I spotted them bedded , set up quick grounds blind and grunted them into me. They came like they were lead by a string. I passed on them. One was a spike and a few day later a forky. I have had no experience on big bucks with grunting but cant see why it wouldn't work unless they are hooked up with a hot doe. I hope to find out next week.

GBA

When I grunted, I blew out two short grunts, like the baaa of a sheep. The first buck --which was walking parallel to me-- stopped, turned my direction, and stood still , so I flung an arrow at him. The second buck was also moving parallel to me across a canyon at 150 yards. He reacted the same way, but continued to walk his course after about 10 seconds. I stopped him three times that way, until he took off. Never did either buck begin traveling towards me, the call just stopped them and caught their interest.

We need some corn fed buck to practice on lol. These dang tv shows need to show more coues hunts!!

• Like 1

I have the Knight and Hale call and it works great. I used it 2 weeks ago and got bucks to stop and come to me. I used it on the does as well to ee how they would respond and they responded better to the grunt versus the estrous bleep. I like the Knight and Hale call becasue it gives great instruction with the call like how long to grunt or bleep as well as how often. To me when Spot and stalking the key is the movement that makes it realistic. Deer do not stay in one place and grunt or bleep. They move around so grunting occasionally while moving to different locations is key becuase you are simulating a buck on the look out for a hot doe. This also increases your chances of getting into a dominant bucks territory and he will definately be challenging another big in his area. As far as rattling I like to use the rattle bags by Primos. This minimizes my movement as well as it is easier to pack around. If you dont have great cover this is key.