Sign in to follow this  
andrewmilich

Unit 25m Mulley's ? McDowell Mountain Preserve?

I am looking for a place to hunt Muley's with my bow in the upcoming otc season. I was at McDowell Mountain Preserve and Dynamite and 128th Street yesterday. Anyone have any suggestions where to hunt over there and anywhere in this urban unit. I am also looking to bag a Javelina during that time also...

While I was out yesterday, I couldnt find any water holes anywhere. Besides golf courses any idea where the water is?

(and yes I know the river is there also)

thanks guys

I don't hunt that close to town but I do use the Game and Fish web site as a starting point for many units I explore. Scouting those areas and boot leather is your friend. Good luck. (not trying to be sarcastic, getting out and looking as more than half the fun for me)

I saw deer a few weeks ago near troon highlands a few weeks ago. I though the preserve was off limits. But I could be wrong.

No the preserve is open

https://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/preserve/hunting

&

From the Game & fish Regs

35. The following parks and preserves in Maricopa

County are open to hunting for archery-only:

Lake Pleasant, White Tank Mountains, McDowell

Mountain, and Estrella Mountain Regional

parks and McDowell Sonoran Preserve. Hunting

in parks and preserves opened by this Commission

Order is not permitted within . mile of any

developed picnic area, developed camp ground,

shooting range, occupied building, boat ramp,

or golf course. Developed areas do not include

trails.

I don't hunt that close to town but I do use the Game and Fish web site as a starting point for many units I explore. Scouting those areas and boot leather is your friend. Good luck. (not trying to be sarcastic, getting out and looking as more than half the fun for me)

I love scouting....just being out is 99% of it

I know you can hunt the Mcdowell Sonoran Preserve as well as a section of the Mcdowell Mountain Rec Park. I drove around there yesterday. The main point of enterance is through Golden Eagel BlVD and then you have to walk through a trail head where hikers and bikers go but you can hunt anywhere back there. I spoke to several of the people working the park and they said they see hunters with bows all the time. if you go to the gat there is a parking lot next to it and they have maps for your reference. There are allot of bowls and ditches to glass. You can get back there pretty far if you want to jike. I fyou want to get to the higher elevation go in through the north enterance/scotssdale thompson parkway entrance. If you do a search for the park names themselves they ill actually show you the boundaries and entrance points. As far as the AZGFD website they offer no starting points for these units/parks. All they say is that they are open for archery.

i have seen deer in there but i think is a hassle to hunt there, some of those people are treehuggers and might call the cops or make noise to scare game away!!

i have seen deer in there but i think is a hassle to hunt there, some of those people are treehuggers and might call the cops or make noise to scare game away!!

id do it then, just so i can call the cops on them for disturbing my hunt. too bad law would side with the anti's and boot you out even for being legal

id do it then, just so i can call the cops on them for disturbing my hunt. too bad law would side with the anti's and boot you out even for being legal

Not so true, the law in the Mcdowell Mtn. Park are hunters too, and will side with us.
  • Like 1

I think I am going to try a spot I see in Unit 22 and 25m border. Good water, well protected. Back side of McDowell Perserve, by the boy scout camp area..anyone hunt there? I figure I could try Javelina on one side and deer on the other...maybe bag both in the same day.. :)

I know you can hunt the Mcdowell Sonoran Preserve as well as a section of the Mcdowell Mountain Rec Park. I drove around there yesterday. The main point of enterance is through Golden Eagel BlVD and then you have to walk through a trail head where hikers and bikers go but you can hunt anywhere back there. I spoke to several of the people working the park and they said they see hunters with bows all the time. if you go to the gat there is a parking lot next to it and they have maps for your reference. There are allot of bowls and ditches to glass. You can get back there pretty far if you want to jike. I fyou want to get to the higher elevation go in through the north enterance/scotssdale thompson parkway entrance. If you do a search for the park names themselves they ill actually show you the boundaries and entrance points. As far as the AZGFD website they offer no starting points for these units/parks. All they say is that they are open for archery.

I think I went there also. alot of hikers but maybe they will push the animals

Dont hunt 22 till january... or you could be in some trouble as it doesnt open till january for pigs or deer

WOW I meant unit 21 not 22 ....Yes hunting 22 would not be a good idea.