Sign in to follow this  
JeredMD

22N Late Archery Success AAR

Sorry for the delayed post, had school and work stuff to do before getting on the computer. I was unable to get out on the hunt the first week cause of school and AZGFD bighorn capture, but headed up on Sunday after the rain let up. I didn't see squat for 3 days, but on Weds morning we started to see elk. First bull we saw was a spike at 80yds, then nothing for the rest of the morning.

The afternoon I sat a waterhole that a couple guys let me sit after I discovered it accidentally. I sat there from noon till the first group of bulls arriving at 4:15pm. I was SO NERVOUS, I waited for the largest bull (3x2) to come in close but he knew something was not right and took his sweet time coming down the hill-while being followed by 3 spikes. I didn't realize how difficult it was to pull a bow up and the movement that was made when pulling the sting back, so when that bull was at the water (roughly 7yds away from me by the time he was moving around the water) I tried pulling back and he spotted me quick! He bolted up the hill, while a spike at 35yds was standing broadside unsure of what was occuring. I turned at the spike and took a shot, ended up putting the arrow into a oak branch above his back.

After deciding to sit and see if they return, I positioned myself where I could be in a stance where I could take a much better shot and more prepared. Roughly 45min later, a bull was coming down the ridge behind me. He smelled me pretty quick, but couldn't pin-point my location. At which he decided to move back up the ridge to my left. There was a brush pile which when we moved behind I stood up and full draw. He saw me when he came out, standing broadside at about 20yds away-which is when I took the shot. Making a perfect shot! It all went by so quick, He ran about 100yds down from the water hole.

I wanna give a special thanks to the guys I met on this hunt, members on here (johnyrankbull, tj hunt 2, and I believe johnyrankbull dad). Great group of guys! I accidentally stumbled on their water hole coming from a different route than where the road was, and busted one of their blinds. I felt really bad, I hate busting other hunter's spots. After they had no luck there for the week, they allowed me to hunt there- which is where I got my bull. When I told them about the elk, they congratulated me and even did what my dad and I were shocked about- came out with the ATV and pulled my elk out! Man, you don't meet great people like that everyday! I truly feel blessed to meet such great people and to take a beautiful elk. If they ever need any help, I would def be willing to do what I could! This was a rough yr for my family, we lost a love one and this hunt was def needed! Being out elk hunting with my Dad again after 5 yrs of him leaving for UT, was a great and wonderful experience. Hopefully we can get more elk hunts in, in the near future =)

So my elk count: 3 Cows (All Rifle) 1 Bull (First Archery kill also)

Okay so here are the pics after the long novel! HA

post-8815-0-86812400-1385950055_thumb.jpg

post-8815-0-04506700-1385950069_thumb.jpg

post-8815-0-73012700-1385950082_thumb.jpg

post-8815-0-13279200-1385950093_thumb.jpg

post-8815-0-21365500-1385950105_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Congrats! Any bull on the late archery hunt is great! Way to stick with it! Tough to stay focused when you are not see elk/bulls but true to form on the late hunt, when you see one you will see more!

Good write up. So often it seems like people are anxious to write about the knuckleheads they run into when they are hunting so it's great when someone takes the time to write about the good people they ran into.

Congratulations again Jered on your first bull. Thanks for all the kind words. My brother-in-law, nephew, and I were so happy that you took an elk off that water hole and believe me when I say it was our pleasure to have helped and met you and your dad.

TJ

congratulations!

great story!

James

Thanks jered for the kind words I'm very glad I could help you to me that made my hunt

Nice bull!!