Sign in to follow this  
lionhunter

257 mag reloading ...???

Just picked up a 257 weatherby mag. I have some brass and want to reload some rounds and see if this is something I want to keep. Let me know what bullet and powder works well for you?? 26 inch shilled barrel,( if that matters).

Also if anyone in nw Phx has the dies I could barrow ????? I hate to purchase them and then decide I don't need it???

Thanks guys

Whitey

Mine likes 72.5gr. H1000 pushing a Barnes 100gr. TTSX averaging 3541 fps. Little tiny key holes at 100 yds.and holds MOA all day out to 600yds.

Give me some more specs on your rifle. If you don't want it I might know 100 guys that would.

P.S. don't forget that WBY. is freebored. Lots of guys not familiar with this come up a little confused when trying to find the lands.

I have just started really working with mine. I love it so far though. I have been converting 7mm Rem Mag & .264 Win Mag cases to .257 Weatherby brass. It isn't quite as long or have quite the case capacity of the real .257 cases but they are along cheaper since I already owned a bunch of virgin brass to work with. I don't know what my velocity is, but sofar I have been running 115gr Nosler Ballistic Tips with good accuracy, and have recently started working with 117gr Hornady BTSP's.

I have been working mostly with IMR4831 but I have some RL22 I am going to try soon as well and I read/hear along of good things about H1000 in this caliber.

H1000 & 115 Berger vld

I finally had the chance to shoot 500 yards with my .257 on Sunday. I was hitting the 11" plate pretty consistently once I got the hold over down.

61.0gr IMR 4831, R&P 7MM Rem Mag brass fire formed to .257, Winchester primers, 115gr Nosler Ballistic Tips with a COAL of about 3.28"

This is not a max load but it seems to shoot pretty well for me sofar.

I finally had the chance to shoot 500 yards with my .257 on Sunday. I was hitting the 11" plate pretty consistently once I got the hold over down.

61.0gr IMR 4831, R&P 7MM Rem Mag brass fire formed to .257, Winchester primers, 115gr Nosler Ballistic Tips with a COAL of about 3.28"

This is not a max load but it seems to shoot pretty well for me sofar.

Do you know the velocity at the muzzle by chance?

I don't know exactly. I believe the Nosler book projects about 3100 FPSF.

I just bought a .257 wbm myself. Go to ballisticstudies.com and look up the info on the 257. The guy that writes all the info is from NZ. Those boys down there know there stuff when it comes to hunting ballistics. I read a ton about the .257 before I picked mine up. Mine is a Vangaurd. Getting ready to float, pillar bed and glass the action. Then I'm also going to pick up a Blackhawk Axiom stock to switch between for the kids.

My gun likes 73.5 grains of H1000, 110gn Accubond, Fed 215 primer and a 3.25"

COL.

I had some range time today to make sure the rifle was dialed in for next weeks Javelina hunt and was able to try some more loads in my .257 Weatherby. I have been using 115-117gr rounds mostly with good success. My rifle shoots Nosler Ballistic tips pretty well, so to practice with a cheaper alternative I picked up some 117gr. Hornady BTSP's. At 100 yards the POI is very similar but I found out my rifle might actually like the Hornady's better then the Nosler.

This is 7 shots from the same batch of the same load with the Hornady 117gr. BTSP's. 6 are ragged and 1 I pulled a little. The 4 holes not in the circle are from other rounds I was shooting/patterning.

The squares on the target are 1" squares. The load is:

7mm Rem Mag Cases Fire formed to .257 Mag.

Winchester Mag Rifle Primers

62.0 gr IMR 4831

Hornady 117gr BTSP @ 3.265" OAL

post-592-0-30870100-1392602721_thumb.jpg