Sign in to follow this  
rclouse79

The gift buck

I hunted hard all of opening weekend. I made the tough call to pass on a small three point opening day, and of course I didn’t see another buck the rest of the weekend. I arranged to take Wednesday and Thursday off from work, with the intention of shooting the first forky or bigger I could find.

I started out glassing my usual favorite morning spot as the sun came up Wednesday morning. I frequently check one little ravine where bucks seem to magically materialize out of thin air. After scanning the mountain for a couple minutes I went back to my honey hole and sure enough a fork and 3 pointer are standing at 378 yards. I had to put my gun in the triclawps to clear the vegetation. I got it set up and looked through my scope to see the bucks moving to the right. The gun was too high and was loose so I lowered it, leveled it, and tightened a screw. I got back on the gun and saw that the deer had moved behind the hill blocking my view. Maybe this was a good thing, because there was a huge cross wind. After a few minutes I decided to hike up the ridge to see if I could relocate them, but had no luck.

It was time to move on to plan B. I walked down the ridge I was on and started up a mountain on the other side. I stopped at my usual spot and glassed two groups of does. I followed a well worn trail further up the mountain than I had before. I was getting close to the top and had actually pulled my gps out of my pocket as I went over the last little rise. When I looked up I saw a buck staring at me from 30 yards away! I was expecting him to bolt but he just stood there as I put the gps back in my pocket, removed the scope cover, and shouldered the rifle. I still had my scope on max power and the deer took up 90% of the sight picture. It is hard to miss when all you can see is deer! All it took was one shot and he expired 10 yards from the trail, which made the pack out nice. He wasn’t my biggest, but I was thankful I wouldn’t be eating tag soup. If felt like this buck was a gift that came just in time. As I was putting the deer in the back of my suburban, super black rain clouds were rolling in over the mountains.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I have done really well on super windy days. I tend to glass less and slowly walk around more. It seems the wind covers your noise and all of the blowing vegetation masks your movement.

post-3890-0-62679900-1386287625_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Nothing wrong with that buck. Congrats

Good job, congratulations! I tend to hide on the lee side of a hill and glass when it gets windy. Your method seems more productive though.

Good job...write up...and deer! Those factors make it all the more memorable.

Congrats on your buck! Sounds like it was meant to be. Thanks for the great write up!

Thats why I love Coues Deer..... You practice all year @ 7 and 800 yards, then what do you know, there's a buck @ 30... Well done, enjoy your gift.

Crazy how somethings play out. Crazy that the buck didn't take off after seeing you. Great story and great a great buck!